Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 3 November 2011

Tidying Up The Stream.

Despite thunderstorms being forecast it was quite sunny this morning. That gave me the chance to spend the morning working outside before an afternoon at school. I spent my time paddling about in the stream, raking up stones and using the side of my boot to push the gravel over to one side. Using a spade is not an option with my back.
It is very romantic to have a stream winding its way around the back of the house but it does get rather close. I try to keep the water over to the far side which means straightening out the channel to allow the water to flow evenly and not carve away the banks.

Although we are at the bottom of the valley we are in little danger of serious flooding because the valley floor drops down quite steeply.


The water is usually about a foot deep but it flows quite strongly bringing down more stones and fine gravel. I wonder where it all comes from because the stream only rises 2 fields away.





A second stream flows down the hillside just outside our boundary providing a constant background noise of water tumbling over rocks.

2 comments:

Elora said...

Lovely, lovely, Ruta! The burbling sounds of a nearby creek (when rain doesn't threaten to bring overflow) are a joy!

Elora

Harriet said...

Oh, Ruta, I envy you -- the sound of rushing water is so lovely. Your pics, as usual, are breathtaking. Thank you.