Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 24 November 2011

Windblown.

It was dry and not too cold today and there was even a tiny bit of blue in the sky so after a morning of teaching the youngest ones at school I decided to forget about housework and take myself on a nice long walk along the beach.From work I drove 4 miles to the coast to Saunton Sands Beach. This was where we used to come on holiday when we were still living in London. But when I got down to the car park I was annoyed to find that they are still charging even though it is out of season. On a point of principle I turned around and headed off further along the coast. The narrow twisting road took me through the picturesque villages of Croyde and Georgeham with their stone built cottages quite a few of which have thatched roofs. The journey brought back happy memories of driving the boys to the beach in our large Landrover.
I parked , for free, at Woolacombe, put on my wellies and jacket and set off for a brisk walk along the 3 mile beach to Putsborough.


It was exhilarating, battling against the wind and listening to the roar of the surf. I was grateful for my silvered safety glasses which kept the wind out of my eyes. It was completely cloudy by then and my normal black sunglasses would have been a little over the top. The beach was almost deserted apart from a few seagulls and curlews.



Having got to the end of the beach I treated myself to a cappuccino sitting outside and watching the surfers. How very civilised.


Then I walked back to Woolacombe assisted by the wind at my back. The thing I like about walking on flat sand is that I can stride along without thinking where I am putting my feet. I felt most refreshed by the end of my walk even if the sun had hidden behind the clouds.


PS Last night , as I was about to feed the cats I heard a crunching on the stairs, investigating I found Patch, the fat cat, eating a small trout that he had just caught in the stream.

No comments: