Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 23 August 2018

A Walk Along the River Lyn.

I woke at a sensible time this morning which might have had something to do with it being my birthday and the rustle of presents being placed on my bedside table. As well as an orchid Peter gave me a gift bag overflowing with sweet treats. I'm really going to have to practise self restraint as apart from today I'm back on my diet. 
Being a dry day we drove out to Lynmouth for a walk inland along the River Lyn. Usually we continue along the right hand bank but it had been closed off due to land slips and an enormous tree trunk poised ready to slide into the path. Instead we walked along the left hand bank and in doing so discovered a small free parking area, handy for future walks. 
After passing the houses clinging to the side of the gorge we had a an easy path which would have taken us to Watersmeet if I hadn't been taking photos.
Some of the boulders in the river were bigger than cars, it's hard to imagine the power of the water that carried them downstream. In winter times the river rises dramatically  and in 1952 destroyed houses down at Lynmouth.



 Lynton sitting high above the cliffs.
Eventually we turned back and made our way to Lynmouth where we bought fish and chips to eat out on the mole. I only had fish and some of Peter's chips because the portions are large. It's the best chippy we know with the crispest most succulent batter on the fish, delicious with a squeeze of fresh lemon. Peter had a surprise, an 'event' planned for me at home which had me guessing all the way back. The surprise turned out to be a lesson on the hand pans. I'd come across them on YouTube a while back and thought it would be great to play one. Then I heard that one of Peter's friends had one and I jokingly said if she ever gets fed up with it I'd love to buy it from her. BTW they cost well over £1,000. She's not likely to lose interest but Peter organised for the guy who teaches her to come to the house and give me an introductory lesson. However I'm not going to jump right in but wait until I master the guitar before starting a new instrument. I just have the thought of an ancient me in an old people's home tapping and thrumming away.
Now that we have a proper oven I thought it time for trying new recipes. I told Peter that instead of cake today I'd have a practice go at a meringue roulade which is my favourite shop bought dessert. It's a good thing I had a try today because the tray needs to face the other way in the oven, today's meringue burnt at the end, and it needs a lower setting as the underneath of the meringue was quite sticky or maybe that's because I used a silicone sheet instead of baking parchment. Peter took the precaution of buying a small roulade and putting it in the freezer in case my attempt turned out disastrously but with cream, raspberries and blueberries I'm sure mine will taste fine. 

2 comments:

happyone said...

I must admit I have never heard of playing hand pans.
Looks like a great walk along the river.
A very Happy Birthday to you. 🎈

Harriet said...

Happy belated birthday, Ruta. Peter did a fine job gathering birthday surprises. Your walk and photos are wonderful. I am going to research 'hand pans' as I have no idea what they are.