Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 24 August 2018

Wet and Cold.

The winds have changed to north-easterlies bringing cold air and plenty of rain. Don't think there's much chance of hot sunny days returning this year. (Trying to bring good fortune by expecting the worst.) The weather didn't matter though it was the first time the shorts were rejected in preference to light trousers, as I met up with two friends for coffee and a long chat at St. John's Garden Centre on the other side of town. Friendships are so important.
I had one drama before leaving this morning when I went to open the kitchen drawer to get my purse (US -wallet) and found that something was causing it to stick. Try as I did to slide a ruler and a cooking tool in to shift the stuck item it wouldn't budge. Luckily I was able to prise out my small plastic purse through the gap. It would have been different if I wanted my chunky leather wallet which was also in there. When I returned home I found I could remove the front panel of the drawer by undoing two screws which were accessible from the side. That way I could reach in and remove the offending item, an old fashioned meat fork which is now residing elsewhere.
I did a few jobs around the place, washing floors etc. and now that I have the correct thread I restrung an anklet whose original elastic had stretched beyond its function. I plan to do those little jobs and then get annoyed with myself when I haven't done them the solution being just to get on with it. I also sewed some felt on to the back of one of my wrist/ankle weights that I use when exercising. For some reason on just one of them the fabric had become very thin and despite sewing up a couple of holes every time I lifted up my arm I'd hear the plink of another tiny metal ball hitting the mat. I may do the other one before it too wears thin so that they match.

Lynmouth, from yesterday's visit.

Typical British summer weather, looking northwards towards Countisbury. 
Looking across the Bristol Channel to Swansea and Port Talbot with the Welsh hills behind. (Click on picture to enlarge it.)
Lynmouth is a very pretty village where the main industry is tourism.



Peter in his red and black gig club hoody sitting where we ate our delicious fish and chips overlooking the small harbour. There were a couple of fishing boats, crabbers but the majority were pleasure craft. Peter would love one but I'm far too aware of the dangers of the sea. (I'm listening to Jaws as I type.) No dangerous sharks in these waters and ironically I would love to see one of the basking sharks that do live here and can sometimes be seen around Lundy. They're the second largest fish in the world and are gentle plankton feeders.
PS This is the guy that came round yesterday playing the handpans.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Funny to see all the boats sitting there at low tide.
Thanks for the link to the Hand Pans. The music is very pretty and easy to listen to.