Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 14 August 2018

Windy.

We're back with the typical British summer weather, lots of warm wind, grey skies, the occasional brief shower and a few spells of afternoon sun.
I had one gardening job to do today, scooping out the water from the deep trays that the trailing geraniums sit in. As my buckets are in the garage I used an old cottage cheese pot to tip the water into the watering can. The first time I went to tip the water out over the back wall into the waste ground some un-lady like words escaped my lips as the can slipped from my grasp. Luckily I was able to stand on a bit of concrete and just reach the watering can on the other side of the wall. It would be useful if we had an accessible drain in the garden but I don't like the idea of taking up the cover over the main drain.

The other day I paid the price for having a marble floor when the small tumbler I used for the sweet peas rolled out of the drainer and smashed on the floor. I found that an old incense stick pot does the job for the time being.
For most of the afternoon I went through some of my folders clearing out redundant paperwork. I've always filed away all the paperwork to do with the house insurance and that folder was filled to bursting point with certificates, booklets and renewal letters going back for years. I went through the whole lot, taking out sections for shredding and removing the staples from all those booklets before putting them in the paper recycling bag. From the folder of instruction booklets I tore out the many pages of foreign language versions. I suppose now that people run their lives through their smart phones a lot less paper will be needed. Only for those diehards like myself who neither trust nor can afford to be permanently connected to a smart phone.
As I sit here listening to the wind I can also hear church bells ringing which is unusual as bell ringing practice is on Wednesdays. It is lovely to hear the bells ringing out on Sunday mornings and for weddings on Saturdays.

4 comments:

Harriet said...

I am not a smart phone user either, and I, too, hear church bells.

happyone said...

Love to hear the church bells. The church here in town rings it bells every day at noon and again at 6:00.

Lowcarb team member said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lowcarb team member said...

Stopped by from Karen's (happyone) blog …
Those sweet peas look nice.

All the best Jan