Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 25 September 2022

Colder.

Early morning mist coming down the estuary. Later I spotted a dolphin lazily surfacing near the cliffs and then it was gone.
More clouds today with a change in wind direction making the temperature drop and threatening rain though in the end only a few drops fell. 
I've been off again with the walking group wandering around the hills above the village of Cwmerfyn [kum-err-vin]. Not having been there before I was very nervous about finding my way to the meet-up point. Sat-navs are never very good for rural locations and I didn't have a post code anyway. Instead I checked out a route using both an OS map and Google maps. Eventually I located what I hoped was the meet-up point "down the road from the up turned caravan" and worked out the sinplest route. Then to reassure myself I used street view to look at six or seven miles of unfamiliar single track road and then to be extra sure I wrote a set of directions as well. I said I was nervous. I've rarely needed to drive to new places on my own and this just shows how easy it is to become dependant on somebody else. Before I left home I said to myself what was the worst thing that could happen? I could miss the rest of the group and have to drive home after seeing more of the countryside. So not a disaster. It all went smoothly and it felt odd driving along a road I'd already 'travelled' on my computer screen. Another boost to my confidence.

We parked up in the valley, walked up one side, turned at the head of the valley and stopped for lunch before returning along the other side of the valley.
If you enlarge the next two photos you may see yellow lines marking our route. Above is the first part where we walked from right to left.
The second part of our route also runs from right to left. The darker bit was where we had force our way along a path overgrown with head high furze (gorse) and some brambles for good measure. We also had some steep downhill bits over very rough ground so although it was not a long walk it ended up being quite taxing. So much so that instead of walking across the fields and back along the small river we just strode down the road. 
One of the early views looking back along the valley and to the sea.
Above is the view from our lunch/snack spot. The chap who plans the walks always tries to pick a spot with a good view for our short rest break.

Above - our cars were parked in the road junction right in the centre of the photo. The curving line of trees going straight up marks the road I came down. Before turning down the hill the road ran along the crest of the hill for a few miles with yet more fantastic views.
On my way home I swung by the garden centre to see if they were open but they weren't. I got home to find a worn out Peter just back from a hard row. The wind had changed direction while they were out and they had to battle some very choppy waves, which of course they loved.

A photo from last night, taken I think when they were setting up after a break. Note the two oldies happily sitting down.
 

No comments: