Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 5 September 2022

Warm.

Another fine day. Going out (in shorts and t-shirt) felt like walking in a warm bath. The strong rollers making their way across the surface of the sea (I know they're not really but that's how they look) were a sign that a lot of energy was building up in the weather system/sea somewhere not too far away. Heavy showers arrived at 6.00 but even then it felt balmy.
In the morning we met up with our friends in Mach for our fortnightly Welsh language get-together. The cafe is closing in October and as we've decided to carry on when our zoom classes start we shall have to find a new venue. There are a number of cafes in Mach but some close for the winter and many of the others close on Mondays but hopefully the vegan cafe will still be open. Peter will have to choose an alternative to his bacon sandwich.
We laughed and mangled our way to the end of the book we've been translating and exchanged tips for revising our coursework and generally had a good time. 

Afterwards Peter walked slowly back to the car to wait for me while I had my usual walk around. One of my stops was the hardware store. It's a great shop where you can buy single screws or other small items. I bought two double picture hooks and a connector to fit a spray gun onto a hose. 

 
At home it didn't take long to fix the hook and hang up this charming watercolour of a country road. If you look closely you should be able to see a shepherd and his dog in the centre of the picture. I didn't fare so well with fitting the hose to the water butt. Finding a long length of hose, fitting the spray gun and even threading the hose up through a hole drilled in a retaining wall were all relatively simple. But fitting the hose to the water butt not so much. Even though the hose is the same diameter as the short piece that was attached to the tap it wasn't flexible enough to push onto the spout of the tap. That leaves me with two options, either heat the end of the hose with my hairdryer to make it more pliable or buy a hose to hose connector to join the new hose to the existing short piece. Might try heating the hose first.
I know the rain began at 6.00 because I was walking to a friend's house for a lift to Aber to try out the Tenovus choir. Luckily I was wearing a jacket over my shorts and had an umbrella as well. The choir was an interesting experience. I'm finding that every choir has its own character which is not to say one is better than another, just that they're different. Tonight's choir has about 40 members and sings popular songs to a very loud backing track with vocals. That was a first for me and my ears are still ringing from the volume of the music. I'll go again but make sure to sit further away from the speaker. We were given the words of the songs but the teacher encouraged us to not use them but to try and to follow her instead. That's the way I'm used to anyway. 
 


2 comments:

lea said...

Sometimes when my husband has a problem like yours with the hose, he uses very hot water to soften the end.

Ruta M. said...

I'll try that, thanks.