Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 30 June 2024

A Walk Above the Stables.

Mostly grey today with occasional light drizzle. I was up early enough to see the rowing club going out for a row at 7.00. That would have been far too early for Peter but in any case he has just had another flare up with his knee which is now sporting a new bony lump and has kept him from rowing or doing a lot this week.
There was a small cat related drama last night. As it was raining lightly last night just before I turned in for the night I went to see if Speedy had returned from his evening stroll and wanted to came back in. Sure enough there he was waiting at the glass door .... with something small and furry in his mouth. Wanting to rescue said furry creature should it still be alive I got a towel, opened the door very carefully and grabbed Speedy by the scruff. It was then a matter of pulling his head back to make him release the field mouse while at the same time covering the mouse with the towel so that if it was alive it didn't run off into the room. Somehow I managed all that, with the mouse bundled up in the towel I found something to put on my feet and in my pjs walked down the garden and out onto the cliff where I released the shaken but alive mouse in the long grass.
Back to today - the meet up point for this afternoon's walk was at the start of the track that leads to the riding stables. I didn't even have to drive myself to this familiar spot as I had a lift with somebody who lives nearby. While we were sorting ourselves out there was the drawn out toot of the steam train that runs through the Vale of Rheidol to Devil's Bridge.
The first part of our walk was along the track that leads to the stables.
We crossed the railway line, walked past the stables
and began a gentle ascent of the side of the valley. The large barn with the green netting is the indoor school where I have my weekly lessons.
We then left the track that we ride on at the beginning of hacks and followed a steeper path to Ian's woods.

As we continued upwards gaps in the bushes and trees gave us great views of the vale and directly below where the fields belonging to the stables were with the horses having their Sunday rest. I think that most if not all of the horses, even the livery horses, spend all their time in the fields when they are not being ridden. A far more natural way to keep horses who are herd animals that form strong social bonds something they cannot do if they are kept in stables.

Ian keeps his woods pretty much as a wilderness. Over the years he has built himself a number of wooden shelters along the track. We stopped by one where he brewed up tea and we had our lunch along with some apple cake made by his partner (can't remember her name I'm afraid). From there we retraced our steps back to the cars. My camera spent most of the return journey covered up from the rain which  kept starting and stopping. (Why does it seem so odd to say it that way round?) 

 

No comments: