Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 17 August 2019

Showers.

We woke this morning to blue skies and warm winds, perfect for washing. The second load was in the machine when suddenly a squall blew in, wild winds and torrential rain, that sort of thing. Luckily I was able to rush out and rescue the sheets off the line. The rain had stopped by the time the second machine load was ready but I decided to play it safe and hang the washing up in the conservatory. Then I changed my mind, hung it all up on the line where it was nearly dry at the point I noticed more grey clouds and brought it in. And to add to this very domestic theme of washing clothes I noticed that the washing machine's little drawer for soap and conditioner was kind of mouldy. I never use the drawer as instead I put the soap liquid in a container and in with the clothes and I don't use conditioner. That's because I dislike the artificial smells, it makes clothing feel tacky and you're not supposed to use it with towels as it trades absorbency for softness so why waste money? Today I wiped out the drawer with bleach using cotton buds to get into every nook and cranny. What will I do when cotton buds are banned?
I had hoped to mow the lawn but that plan was scuppered by the rain. Our machine struggles as it is and trying to cut wet grass would just make things worse. All I could do outside was a bit more cutting back of the buddleia. Overall the bush is far too big at the moment but I can't bring myself to deprive the butterflies and bees of the flowers. Once all the flowers are over I'll cut it back by about a half to keep the privacy it currently gives. 

3 comments:

happyone said...

I feel the way that you do about the conditioner (which we call fabric softener) and don't use it either. There is NOTHING like that fresh smell of clothes dried out on the line!!!

lea said...

Not a fan of conditioner/fabric softener either and I too love my laundry dried on the line.
Cotton buds are going to be banned there? They are available here with either paper sticks or plastic ones, I buy the paper ones. Is this like the concern we have here about drinking straws and their disposal?
We might have to mail you cotton buds...LOL

Ruta M. said...

The plastic sticks in cotton buds always seem to be mentioned when they're talking about pollution especially of the ocean and it sounds like they'll eventually be banned. Replacement with paper sticks would be the solution. I clean my eyes with them and they are soooo useful for getting into to corners when cleaning.