Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 19 January 2022

Cold.

Mixed weather today. It started with grey skies and light rain, cleared to give cloud dotted blue skies and then alternated between full cloud cover and patches of blue sky ending with a chilly afternoon.
It was bright and sunny while I worked at the zoo then turned gloomy when I wandered round with my camera. 
The photo above was taken in October and shows just how overgrown the woodchip area that I've been working on was. (The grass was a lot greener then too.) Below is how it looks after two weeks of weeding. The wood edging I found last week only goes half-way but I'm aiming to carry on to make a tidy corner. How far I go depends on how far the woodchip extends. The play area is popular with children and the neater it looks the better impression people will have of their visit. We had one family come round though with the birds shut away there's not a lot to see at the moment.
I got diverted half-way through my weeding to do some work in one of the enclosures with the animals still present. I went in with four fierce ..... wabbits! Earlier I had spotted one of the rabbits happily stripping the bark from the stem of one of the buddleia bushes. I will be cutting the bushes back in the spring but stripping the bark will kill them entirely. I'm only hoping that there hasn't been too much damage already. I asked one of the more regular volunteers about putting netting around the stems and was given access to the piles of netting and left to get on with it after he'd unlocked the gate to the enclosure. This had been the meerkats enclosure but while they dug lots of tunnels like the rabbits they eat small creatures and not bark.
Back home I had a break then did my piano, guitar, exercise bike, Duo Lingo and Welsh vocabulary before blogging.

 

No comments: