Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 5 January 2022

Zoo Day.

It wasn't quite so windy today and didn't feel as cold either. However there were frequent brief showers throughout the day.
Being zoo day and bin day I was rushing around in the morning and didn't spot the snow up on the mountains. It wasn't until I saw a photo on the local FB page that I went out and saw the remnants of the snow up on the hill tops.
I took my camera with me to the zoo but didn't take any photos because everything seemed so brown and gloomy plus it began to rain again. It rained a few times while I pulled up more bramble roots but I just put my hood over my hat and carried on. My big yellow workman's coat is perfect for this type of weather being both wind and waterproof. Also it's easy to sponge off the mud so I can grub away to my heart's content. Peter said that when I come home from the zoo I look like I've been in a bar brawl, windswept, muddy, scratched and happy. It looks like I've just got a few more brambles to remove from bit beyond the barrier by the wolf-dogs and then I can move on to something else. While I worked the wolf-dogs came over to see what I was doing and to sniff my hand. I hope they are beginning to recognise my scent by now. 
Back home I painted one of the window poles white and was able to get a second coat on later in the afternoon. Yesterday I was so pleased with remembering about using a wax candle on the replacement wooden pole and yes the rings simply glide along but then I had another idea. Why not use the finials that came with the extra long pole we had to buy for the window in the dinning area? We have four because the original pole was faulty and we were given a replacement. Another good idea but they are white so the wax will have to be sanded off before I paint yesterday's pole white.
Then I was able to have a rest and enjoy some barfi that came in a sumptuous Christmas hamper from Vytas and Sally. I used to drop hints to Vytas when he was studying in Leicester which has many interesting food shops and restaurants catering to the large Indian population. I didn't take a photo at the time but the picture (from the web) below shows similar Indian sweetmeats. Luckily they can be frozen so I was able to put them away to enjoy at leisure otherwise I would have exploded. There were also jalebi and savoury snacks. Today I tried the cashew nuts which as well as being salted were heavily peppered too. They were delicious and just right for me as I'm not keen on very spicy foods but use a lot of black pepper when I'm cooking.

I got excited when the postman rang the doorbell and gave me two packages but I'm still waiting for one parcel before I can string up the plant tubs in the window. What did arrive was a replacement upload cable for my camera. I've had a problem with the upload cable as the connection wouldn't hold so I had to hold it at an angle and hope that the connection didn't fail which it often did much to my annoyance. I bought a cheap replacement but it didn't fit so it went back and I got a refund, Nikon didn't have them in stock but I had high hopes for today's more expensive cable. But no that was loose too. When Peter looked at my camera he spotted straight away that the port in the camera is split which is why it doesn't hold. Looking on line this seems to be a general problem and you've guessed it, one that is too expensive to repair. However Peter suggested some ways of propping up the cable to keep the connection without having to hold the lead which should make things easier. (I know that you can take the photos off the card but doing that on a daily basis will soon damage the card.)
It's due to be even colder tonight so I'll try and remember to look for snow in the morning.


 

No comments: