Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 25 May 2009

Braunton Fair.

I happened to be in Braunton today and came across the Braunton Carnival and Fair. Of course being a Bank Holiday it was raining but it was too good a photo opportunity to miss. You never know what you might find at these events. Lots of people walking in the rain. Being half term, holidaymakers swell the population of this large village and it certainly wasn't beach weather.




It was only light rain so everyone simply put on their coats and made the best of it.


This was my favourite stall, a human fruit machine. If you were lucky you got 3 lemons ......



.... or some other fruit. The prize was also hand delivered. A very good idea whoever thought of it.




The carnival obviously had a Wild West theme as there were a lot of cowboys and Indians wandering around as well as a bit of living history.








There was live music playing listened to by a group of stalwart followers under their umbrellas.


Other attractions included a youngsters' football tournament with a witty commentator, a karate display and a fun Dog Show, not one of those terribly serious pedigree affairs.



I managed to resist buying any more jewellery but I couldn't help sorting through a big basket of bags of interesting beads and eventually bought 4 big paua shell pendants, 2 of which I'll make into earrings. I have so many beads to make jewellery with in those (nonexistent) free moments.It all began when I started when I started converting jewellery into my own style. Lots of ideas but no time at the moment.

There were lots of plants for sale but I'm just sticking to taking photographs. I thought this was a really pretty double aquilegia.






This post is going out late because I had to pick up Romas after his weekend away. I was expecting to collect him from Barnstaple at 10.13 but at 8.00 I had a phone call. 'Mum, I fell asleep on the train and now I'm at Bristol and I won't get to Exeter in time to catch the last train to Barnstaple.' Aaargh ! Luckily the train he was about to catch stopped at Tiverton Parkway which is much easier , still an hour's drive, than going into Exeter. I drove Peter's car but it still wasn't fun on the way back in the dark and the heavy rain. Still I did get a blow by blow account of each of the 4 battles. It was a big Major with 2,500 out on the battle field. It must have been an impressive sight for the spectators.There were also 2 medieval era battles though extremely hot weather is not the best when wearing full armour. Romas' description was 'shiny,shiny, clank, clank melt, melt.' Hot weather is very enervating and Romas said they were all shattered. There is always a lot of noise on the battlefield, cannon and muskets firing, drums beating instructions and officers shouting orders and general yelling from the pikemen over which the commentator is trying to explain to the spectators what is going on. Suddenly over the tannoy came the Helm's Deep music and Romas and some others tried to respond by thumping their pikes on the ground but pikes are very heavy and they were too exhausted. I'll see if I can find some footage to post.

3 comments:

happyone said...

What a cute idea having the fruit stall game!

Sounds like you're a taxi cab! :-)

Ye Merrie Quilter said...

Hello! I came by way of At Home with the Farmer's Wife, who mentioned that your boys did some Medieval warfare stuff. I was just wondering what group they belong to. I'm with the Society for Creative Anachronism, which I have participated in for the last 20 years in the states. We don't use muskets or recreate specific battles, so I'm thinking it may be a different group. Thanks!
merriecuylter.blogspot.com
Karen

Jan said...

Hi I am the lucky individual who is chairman of the 2010 Fair committee. Thinking of a medieval theme and need re-enactors similar to our wild west theme this year. Sounds as though you might be able to help. PLEASE?!!!!!!!!!