Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 29 May 2009

A Trip To Bristol.

I finally decided to have laser surgery on my eyes and today I went up to Bristol for the preliminary consultation which involves 2 hours of eye drops, eye tests and all sorts of machinery. It's still very expensive but some time ago I had a legacy from an aunt which will pay for one eye and if you spread the balance over the 30 years that I haven't been to the hairdresser it works out to £40 per year (1 visit?), at least that's the way I'm justifying it. I feel I've worked hard working full time for almost last 2 years and this is my reward to myself. Now it's a matter of co-ordinating dates as you have to be accompanied for the treatment, return the next day and then a week later. They only do the surgery on Saturdays so its a matter of fitting it into all the events happening in the summer holidays, so it will probably be August. It was very hot today, high 20s, and I got to see a much more pleasant, leafier and grander side of Bristol. I only had 10 mins to wander around before heading back to the train station and my eyes were totally blurry so it's a wonder I got any photos at all.
I was up near the university and there were lots of young people around enjoying the sunshine.




I think this is part of Bristol Museum.



These are the very grandiose council offices on one side of College Green,




With the Cathedral on another side.





A sort of interesting fountain.






And back at the station I was amused by the numbers of bikes, commuters who cycle from the station to their work places ? or students catching the train home for the weekend ?
The Bristol train was 20 mins late so I missed my connection at Exeter by about 3 mins, you'd think it would wait, and so I had to hang around on the station for another hour. At least I had seats on the mainline trains because I had booked on line and got seat resrvations. Quite a few people had to stand on the return train. As I was sitting in my window seat I felt something nudging my leg, looked down and there was a hairy little dog, belonging to the lady in front of me. I think it was hoovering up the crumbs from my sandwich brought from home, (BR charges £5 for a sandwich on the train!). The dog then settled down leaning on my and my neighbour's feet for the rest of the journey. My neighbour didn't look very amused but I thought it was sweet.

3 comments:

Domestic Executive said...

Definitely more majestic views of Bristol this time. Interesting you're getting your eyes done. It's something I've contemplated for a while. A friend of mine had it done and she's never look back!

Ruta M. said...

I've wanted to have it done for ages but the cost was a factor.I have worn contact lenses years ago but one eye wasn't so good and it's so much hassle. But I really would like to have 100% clear vision because with the modern small glasses all the peripheral vision where I'm not looking through the glasses is blurry.It's looking like July 25th now so that's something to look forward to (ha ha note the pun).

Catching the Magic said...

Oooo I did enjoy these fabulous sunny and grand photos of Bristol. Good luck with getting your eyes done - I've also heard fabulous reports from friends who have had it done.