Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 19 May 2013

Bluebells.


This morning it was 32C in our sun trap by the front door. Perfect for an al fresco breakfast and then we headed out for a walk.
 
We parked in the car park at Morthoe (no more free parking until autumn) and walked down to Kinevar. As I had hoped the bluebells were coming into flower. Another week of warm weather and the bluebell carpet will be at its best with hopefully butterflies fluttering about under the trees.
We were pleasantly surprised to see hardly anyone around on such a beautiful day. The wild garlic was also beginning to flower filling the air with its tasty aroma.
The tide was in when we got to Bennet's Mouth where we stopped for coffee. There had been a very high tide recently and the stony beech was strewn with seaweed and cuttle fish bones.

Climbing up the cliff I noticed that the water was so clear that you could see almost to the sea bed. I don't recall see that here before. In contrast the air across the Bristol Channel was quite hazy  and Wales appeared only as misty shapes in the distance. In the other direction Lundy appeared to floating above a bank of sea mist.
Back home Peter went straight out to the boat shed. First to do a 'Health and Safety' audit and then to help with washing the gig. I stayed to work in the garden, weeding the veg plot. I was just wondering if I had any seeds I could put in when I remembered that due to the small size of the plot and the vast numbers of slugs I had given all my veg seeds to Romas and decided to use the plot to propagate plants for the time when we do decide to leave. It won't be for a few years but it would be good to have my favourite plants ready to start off in a new garden. It's a good thing that I planted up some self-sown aubretia and stachys (lambs' ears) last autumn as they have both almost completely died off in the scree garden.  It's begun to cloud over and I don't know how long this good weather will remain but it has been good these last few days.

No comments: