Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 13 May 2013

Dry.

Despite the early morning farming forecast telling us that the next few weeks will be wet and unseasonably cold there has hardly been a drop of rain today. I had to go into town in the morning but my afternoon was spent, well wrapped up, sorting the marjoram. I gave up trying to remove the grass and simply dug the whole lot up. That's been relocated to a bit of rough ground and there is plenty of marjoram left for me to divide up a few clumps and fill in the gaps. I was enjoying the elements and having a well deserved rest with a cup of tea when THINGS happened. I leaned over to pick up something from the side table next to me when the seat of the plastic chair gave way depositing me on the ground. On my way down I knocked the table which went over and the cup fell onto the paving and smashed. My special extra big mug that was just the right size for an Earl Grey tea-bag. OK it was only one from Poundland but it was irritating anyway. Though I'm glad the chair broke now rather than when someone else was sitting in it or when I ever have my next lot of back surgery. 
I.O.S. Last day.
As we weren't sailing on the Scillonian until the afternoon we had time to take a boat trip around the islands. This time we opted for the glass bottomed boat going out to the Northern Rocks. I though the glass would give some interesting views but when we were moving all you could see were bubbles and there wasn't much near the rocks except for some seaweed.
However it was great fun going out into the rougher water. Standing up and balancing against the movement of the boat is my level of excitement (couldn't do rollercoasters!).
There were only 8 passengers on the boat so it was easy to move from side to side to see the many seals and sea birds. The skipper also told us about some of the wrecks we were going over. Lots of stuff about Napoleonic wars which interested Peter (he likes that sort of thing) but I didn't really bother listening. At the last count there were 2,500 wrecks around the islands. 
We sailed (is it sailing if you use a motor?) into this gulley between 2 islets to see the seals. It was quite tight to turn around and we only hit the rocks once. One of the other passengers who was a sailor and boat builder said he would never have dared to try that manoeuvre.

 More rocks and more up and down, wheee! I'm actually a very poor sailor but fine if I take a travel tablet.


And we did get to see some puffins though there were a lot more razorbills which are quite similar but without the distinctive orange beak.
After our tour there was time to enjoy some pasties before boarding the Scillonian for a steady voyage back to Penzance. There we collected the car and got home after 10.00. (Please excuse so many holiday snaps but I found it very hard to edit down the 400+ that I took and I wanted to share the beauty of the Isles of Scilly.)

2 comments:

happyone said...

Your boat ride sounds fun and the water is such a pretty aqua color. I think sailing implies a sailboat but I'm not sure either.

I couldn't help laughing when you described the chair incident. : ) Glad you weren't hurt!

Harriet said...

Ruta....your snaps take me on a journey my feet will never go. Thanks to you my eyes do the traveling and I love every snap you share. Thank you.