Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 10 May 2013

Cold and grey.

As I drove to work early this morning  I was not thrilled by the fact that it was yet another gloomy, grey cold day. Then suddenly I was in bright sunshine and my spirits lifted. I had emerged from under the weather front into totally different weather. Unfortunately the clouds kept on moving and by mid-morning things were looking grim again. I had a good morning in one of the reception classes. They were learning to recognise money using real coins and to ensure that all the money was returned to the pot I 'sold' the children stickers, a different colour for each coin. When I finished work I drove over to BJ's and bought the rest of the plants for the hanging baskets. I buy surfinias and trailing lobelia because apart from last year they  always do well. I have tried other plants but they are more expensive and don't seem to survive anyway. This year the trailing lobelia is (hopefully) all white and the surfinias are magenta, deep purple and lavender though the labels say pink, blue and a touch of blue. I got all the baskets planted up and did some weeding in the bog garden before the heavy rain started. I feel like hibernating for the rest of the weekend.
I.O.S. contd.
The weather was constantly changing though after the wet start to Saturday the rain stayed away. By the evening the town was washed in a golden light and while everyone was in one of the pubs I took myself off for a photo stroll.

 The little walled park in the centre of the town contained the most enormous succulents. 
 This is still in town just below the garrison walls.
 And this is why the islands have captured my heart.
Can there be anything more romantic than the drowned hilltops of Lyonesse in the light of the setting sun?


1 comment:

Catching the Magic said...

Love all these photographs and that last sentence about the islands is as beautiful as the scene you so well show with your photographs. Thank you x