Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 15 May 2013

Slight Improvement.

It was a wild and stormy night last night. We had a power cut at midnight but unlike the 300 homes that were still without power this morning, it came back on after half an hour. While listening to the late night weather forecast I sympathised with those people up in Scotland who were due to have some snow but I was surprised in the morning to hear that there had been snow up on Dartmoor which is only 60 miles away. (Why does this country have to get colder because of global warming? It's just not fair.) I came down in the morning to find Elwen ensconced in the warming oven of the Rayburn which I had left open to dry off my Ugg boots. She stayed in there until I left for work at lunchtime when she emerged, had a stretch and went outside. Patch aka Fatty and Speedy had been having a lovely time in the conservatory where I had forgotten to put the lid back on the feed box after feeding them last night. Speedy was positively rotund this evening when I finally realised my mistake. No supper for those 2 tonight and short rations for a while to make up for all the food they ate.
It stayed dry, mostly, with occasional tantalising glimpses of the sun this morning so I was able to get out and continue with the weeding. I won't say I have a plan because anything could go wrong, the weather or my back, but I would like to have done all the basic weeding in the main part of the garden before the half term holiday in 10 days time. That way I can spend the break working in my favourite part of the garden, the scree garden, and possibly get in some reading in the sun time.
I checked the water in the micra in the morning and it had gone down a teeny bit. I topped it up and watched the temperature gauge like  hawk when I drove to work. A slight panic when it crept over the minimum mark but it stayed in the middle of the normal range for most of the journey. The water level was still fine after work so hopefully it will not cause any more trouble. That will teach me to be a bit more careful about checking the oil and water. The weather continued to improve during the day and by the time I left school after a maths training session it was most spring-like. The cow parsley is starting to flower and there is a faint blue haze in the grassy verge where the bluebells are. No buttercups yet but the dandelions shine like coins in the sun.

No comments: