Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 16 July 2010

Day 2 Part 1.

We woke on Sunday morning to a glorious day. Too good to stay in bed! I tried waking the youngsters by clattering around in the kitchen but it took the smell of sausages and bacon to bring them to life.Peter enjoying his 'birthday present'.
I had started my day with a coffee and a pre-breakfast explore of the neighbouring lighthouse. The lighthouse was built in 1819 but was found to be ineffectual because it was too high. The current light houses at either end of the island are built much lower down the cliffs.
The lighthouse was right next door to us. The upper floor of the adjacent building is also a rental property, apparently not as smart inside as Stoney Croft but with fantastic views. The lighthouse itself is open and you are free to climb the 96ft (at your own risk) to the very top for some amazing views.

The stone steps spiral up the hollow (and fairly dark) building with your footsteps echoing eerily. The tower was very reminiscent of Barad'ur.

The steps get steeper and narrower the higher you go and I was certainly glad of the metal handrail. The first time I climbed up I did wonder how I was going to make it back down again. As I'm not too good with heights I edged down backwards holding onto the rail with both hands and wedging my back against the outer wall.

At the top of the stone steps are 2 separate rooms, one above each other, that housed the motor the turned the light and the actual light itself. Both have been removed and for the adventurous there are 2 deck chairs to relax! in. It wasn't until my 4th climb that I was brave enough to step across the gap onto the central plate. I even sat in a chair though I didn't feel very relaxed.

I didn't have any problem with the metal walkway inside the window. It was too fascinating to look down on Stoney Croft and the rest of the island.

Looking back at the church, tavern and farm buildings with the Old Lighthouse visible just behind the church.
The youngsters went off after breakfast for a day of hiking around the island while Peter and I chilled out enjoying the peace and quiet before heading down to the shop (to buy milk and some tomatoes) and then carrying on southwards past the Tavern , into the church and then down to the castle ( part ruins and part rental property). The 13C castle on the southern tip was probably built at the time of Henry III, (there are few traces of an earlier 12C castle in the centre of the island.)

The blue skies gave the sea an intense blue colour. There were several yachts down in the bay and a few dive boats.

Looking down from the castle we could see the jetty, South Lighthouse and the path up from the beach. A peregrine falcon flew up near us swooping about and crying loudly.
It was such a relaxed feeling to be looking out across the quiet sea with the sun beating down and only the sound of the seabirds in our ears.

Old Lighthouse and Stoney Croft just visible on the horizon.)
We followed the cliff edge stopping to watch sea birds (shags) returning with fish for their young and spotting several seals in the water.

The view down the dramatic cliffs was so interesting, especially when we used our binoculars to watch the birds, that I started to lose my fear of heights. From this point we cut across to Stoney Croft. Peter spent the rest of the afternoon sitting out in the garden and studying while I .......
PS Back home we have had torrential rain yesterday and today. Not too good news as yesterday was St Swithin's Day. I do hope we don't have 40 days of similar weather though it is possible.

2 comments:

Domestic Executive said...

Ruta, thanks so much for this detailed report. I am loving Lundy from what you're showing. Looks like my perfect holiday getaway. Hope that Peter has been relishing every moment of his special birthday treat.

Catching the Magic said...

So enjoying reading your accounts of Lundy. Such a fabulous Birthday present. The lighthouse pics are great and I felt your fear as I read - those deck chairs are quite something! The pics of the sea and dramatic coastline are spectacular and I would very much enjoy a visit there. Looking forward to the next instalment!