Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 26 July 2010

Lots Of Shopping.

The weather has been very similar to yesterday, overcast in the morning but sunnier in the afternoon. Peter's foot is playing up so he decided not to go to the gym & pool today but I had things to do so I had a leisurely few hours shopping in town once I'd been to the bank, post office and library. I bought some more pjs/slopping around clothes (all in sale of course), I think one more pair of pjs are going to get the chop and be turned into shorts. I do like those sort of clothes and though I should only be in hospital for 1 or 2 days when I do eventually have my op it will be nice to have new clothes to wear. Still on the hunt for new bras (due to changing down a few sizes), I ended up in Banbury's (a posh-ish dept store) and eventually found a plain white bra that fitted, went to pay and found out it was £37!!! 'No Thanks' I said and went to BHS where I bought 2 for less than half that price. Also bought another long t-shirt, on sale and 20% extra off. While in Banbury's I bought another stainless steel saucepan (on sale) to match a bigger one I bought in sale there last year. This is all part of my plan to move from my heavy cast iron Le Creusot pans, mostly given to Vytas now, that I had been buying since I was married. I might even go and get the smallest pan to complete the set as I had earmarked the money I made from selling some old chairs for good kitchen equipment. Final purchase of the day was 4 big bath towels reduced to £2 each in Primark. A very satisfying shopping day. Back home the weather had brightened up and I did some work in the garden. Pulling up a few brambles, moving some of the grasses from the path and yet more weeding. Now I can enjoy the scree garden without stressing over the work that needs doing. The colour palate of the scree garden is changing from subtle pinks and greys to its more vibrant late summer colours of purples and oranges. Not normally 2 colours I would have close together but I do love all the different crocosmias (and slugs don't). The first of the crocosmias to flower is Lucifer which makes a showy display against the Pampas grass. The pampas grass looks magnificent in a shady corner and does a good job of screening the building at the edge of the garden. Sadly the same cannot be said for the cynara (ornamental artichoke) which normally made another focal point with its architectural spiky grey leaves and flower heads 5 or 6ft high. This year either due to the weather or simply age there is just one stem less than 3 ft high with a couple of small flower heads. What a shame.

This peacock butterfly was enjoying the sun after its long winter hibernation. Some of the buddlieas have begun to flower and all the different sedum plants are covered with flower buds ready to provide a feast for the butterflies and bees. Maybe we'll have some sun later on in the holidays so that I can simply sit and enjoy watching the butterflies. Right now the garden is full of tiny froglets (toadlets?) but they are too quick to photograph.


Only 1 pound lost last week, frustrating but understandable with all the end of term treats. And too much snacking on walnuts and dates. Definitely need to tone up as well.

1 comment:

Elora said...

Ooooooh! What a beautiful butterfly! We have NOTHING resembling your Peacock (great name, too!) Lucky you! Your garden is such a sanctuary. What a delightful place to read on a sunny day!

Good shopping! Clever you to find all that "stuff" on sale!

Elora