Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday, 20 July 2010

Day 4 Part 2

Once I had caught my breath after climbing back up to the path I continued northwards my plan being to find a way back up to the top of the cliffs and return to the Tavern across the top of the island. I was not expecting to find myself on what is probably the most beautiful part of the island.
The wide and level track made walking very easy and I was able to enjoy the views across to the mainland even though the air was a little hazy.

As I rounded a corner I came across the first of several quarries cut into the hillside. They were so spectacular that all I could do was stand and say 'Wow'. The vegetation in the quarries had a woodland feel with foxgloves and small trees and the whole scale of the rocks was overwhelming.
This quarry in particular was very poignant as on the central fallen slab is a bronze plaque and a wreath of poppies commemorating the son of the last owner of Lundy who was killed in WWI. (Just visible if you enlarge the picture by clicking on it.)
A wider view along the east coast showing another inaccessible beach. I didn't have the time to carry right along the length of this path, maybe next time?

Another of the quarries on the east coast. I would really like to spend time exploring the quarry (those walls are over 100ft high), and also to sit and take in the atmosphere of the place.

However time was pressing on and I followed the track as it branched upwards to the top of the island. Instead of following the 'main road' straight back I meandered through the moorland following sheep/ pony paths until I came to the largest of the rainwater ponds. Sadly I had not got any bread with me to feed the ducks that came paddling over for a handout. I walked past the herd of wild ponies but didn't see any of the deer that live on the island. Romas and Vicky saw them on one of their walks and were lucky enough to see a couple of fawns as well.
I had just reached Quarter Wall and was in sight of the buildings when it started to rain. I sped up and got to the tavern without getting too wet. We had promised ourselves a lunch of home made burgers and chips from the Tavern and I was looking forward to having a lovely dessert instead as my treat. Imagine my disappointment to find that desserts are only served in the evenings. Even my pleas for one slice of the chocolate tart got me nowhere, I was told that a new one was being baked but nothing was left of yesterday's. I compromised by getting some fudge from the shop.
All too soon it was time to walk down to the landing beach, in the rain, board the Oldenburg and sail back to the mainland.
Apart from the rain it was a calm crossing back, we had hoped for more bounce and spray. At one point we spotted a 2 masted old fashioned schooner on the horizon, being a bit misty and grey it almost looked like a ghost ship. We sailed past Saunton sands, back up the Torridge, past Appledore and docked at Bideford where coaches were waiting to drive us back to Ilfracombe. For some reason we went the long way back going all the way down to Braunton first and then up via Mullacot Cross. Once we were off the Oldenburg I walked over to collect the car, as quickly as possible as it was raining again (double rainbow) and we were back home by 8.00. A truly wonderful holiday where everything was perfect. Now we have to save up our pennies and hope that there is a vacancy that coincides with my school holidays.

1 comment:

Elora said...

What an intriguing escarpment! How I'd love to explore it with you! Glad your ankle held up sufficiently to capture the adventure and share it with us.