Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 19 April 2011

24C

Another beautiful day today. This morning it was 24C (76F) as I basked in the unexpected heat and attempted to scrub stones with a rapidly thinning wire brush. If only we had days like this in the summer! and it was still a balmy 14C this evening when I ended my day with a little more gardening. During the afternoon I met up with a friend at Mortehoe and we had an enjoyable walk and natter around the Point with the usual stop for coffee and some chocolate chunk cake that I had baked in the morning. No seals or adders today but we did stop and watch a small brown bird with a mechanical sounding song singing amazingly loudly from a nearby bush. Looking at my blurry photos I have been able to identify it as a Grasshopper Warbler, one of our summer visitors.


Turning out of our drive this afternoon I was surprised to be able to see this wind turbine. This morning the local news was full of the new wind turbine farm which is being built in North Devon. There used to be a single turbine outside of Ilfracombe but then it was dismantled. I'm not sure exactly why. This new farm at Fullabrook is going to stretch for 10 miles across the countryside because we have the strongest winds in the south-west. They will certainly make an impact on the landscape, I hope the power they generate is worth it. Luckily we can't see or hear them down in our valley. Each turbine is enormous, the one above is several miles away , with each of the blades being 45m long.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Glad your are enjoying some nice warm weather.