Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 17 April 2011

Yikes!

We came across not 1 but 2 full grown adders on our walk this afternoon. I didn't see the first one which rushed across the path in front of Peter as we walked down the coombe but the second one was on the path on the north side of the Point. Peter stopped suddenly so that I nearly bumped into him, then I shrieked and reached for my camera at the same time but it was slithering away too quickly into the grass for a photo. I was grateful for the fact that I was wearing walking boots but I did have bare legs so I was glad that Peter usually walks in front of me (that way he can set a pace that is comfortable for his joints and he doesn't have to keep stopping for my photo moments). Maybe that's the reason that the man always walks in front in so many cultures, to be the first to encounter danger! We did get our first sighting of a single grey seal a few paces later. It was a beautiful day and once again there were many people out enjoying the beautiful scenery. (The spring flowers are flowering in abundance, dandelions, celandines, violets, bluebells, primroses, white campion, thrift and vetch to name a few.) People usually say Hello as they pass you but some are too deep in conversation or too rude to even say thank you as you stand aside to let them pass. I had been quizzing Peter about who he had been playing golf with the day before and coming to the conclusion that one of the men who had a slightly unusual surname was probably married to a supply teacher who I have met in various schools over the years when lo and behold, said golfing friend, supply teacher wife and mother-in-law came walking around the corner on a Sunday stroll. As is the way of inhabitants of the area we stopped for a chat (this often happens when shopping) and laughed at the coincidence. Our walk today took us along the coast path and up these steps. These are the easiest of the several sets of steps in the area being only 66 steps to climb while the others have more than 80 but I must be getting fitter as I didn't feel at all puffed out when I reached the top and didn't need 'a moment to look at the view'.
Our choice of lunch spot is dictated by the direction of the wind and if somebody is already on our chosen bench. Today the best shelter was at the Point sitting on the rocks. (Peter is trying to see the screen of his phone in the shade of his hat.) Our lunch of smoked salmon (half a packet of cheap ends) in onion and poppy seed bagels followed by home made apple cake with coffee was to my mind every bit as enjoyable as last week's roast dinner and yet cost less than my one glass of fruit juice.
The day stayed sunny and fairly warm so while I mowed the lawns Peter barbecued some marinaded pork which he served up with salads and pitta bread. This corner of the scree garden is where we often end up eating in the evenings as it catches the last of the setting sun. As we ate we once again marvelled at how fortunate we are to be able to enjoy such a beautiful setting with just the sound of the birds in our ears. A far cry from the days we lived in London when all around would have been the sound of traffic, car alarms and music being 'shared' from the pub or community minded neighbours.
This picture is for Elora who wanted to see what the arch looks like denuded of branches. Although turning those 2 trunks into an arch covered in honeysuckle is a possibility it would be a somewhat pointless grand feature and more importantly would reduce the size of what is going to be a small veg patch so I'm going to see if I can dig/cut off the roots and remove at least one of those trunks. Wish me luck with that!

2 comments:

Elora said...

Oh, my!!!!!!! how did you have the heart to cut that thing???!!! Of course, it's for a goodly cause! A veggie garden is definitely reason to whack it, but it must have taken a bit of courage...how long did it grow before you "pruned" it? I rather admired it, but would probably favored the veg garden instead...

Also, Ruta, do you have those adders in your yard or are they located only on the area where you walk? Do they slither off, mainly, or do they stand and challenge? Are there many? I would presume in spring, one would see more of them coming out of hibernation...

Sounds like a day of total enjoyment!

Elora

Ruta M. said...

The desicion to cut was mainly because it was almost impossible to prune the higher parts and the top which did need doing at least twice a year. Leylandii grow 3-4ft a year so need a firm hand. The trees were about 5 ft high when we moved here 18 years ago and it only took a few years to form the green ones into the hedge and the golden ones into the arch.
The adders live on heathland and moors and don't like the wet surroundings we live in, thank goodness. I think I would have a heart attack if I saw one in the garden or house! They are not agressive and only bite if surprised and will try and get away first. I try and stomp as I walk through the heather so that they will feel the vibrations and get out of the way. I checked my book and a bite should not be fatal to an adult but can be serious for children and fatal for dogs. These recent sightings are the first live ones I've seen for many years but it is the time of year when they are coming out of hibernation and need to soak up the sun.