Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 2 April 2011

A Good Saturday.

It feels like spring is really here. Bright sun, warm winds and early flowers cheering the place up.
I started my day in town meeting up with a friend for coffee, cheesecake (mixed fruits this time) and a good long chat. Then I had a pleasant shopping morning dropping into most of the charity shops as well as quite a few clothes shops. I'm now being really strict with myself (due to somewhat bulging wardrobe) and only buy clothes that I would be prepared to wear to work straight away. No 'this will be lovely when I lose this little bulge' or buying clothes for non-existent special occasions in the future. So today I restricted myself to 2 tops from charity shops, both of which I will wear this week and 3 packs of brightly coloured men's socks in Primark which had been reduced from £4 to £1 a pack of 5 pairs of socks. A few other essential items and another non-essential solar powered garden light along with a visit to the library completed my shopping.

Back home it was out into the garden to test my new daisy grubber. It works well though I was using it to grub out everything but the daisies which I don't mind in a lawn. I went on to weed the only flower bed which actually has proper soil (everything else in the garden grows in clay subsoil) when I realised that cutting down the leylandii arch will give me the chance to almost triple the size of that bed and have another go at growing vegetables. I have never been too successful at growing vegetables here partly due to the lack of soil but mainly because of the legions of slugs that emerge from the surrounding fields and munch their way through everything. Any suggestions for the best crops to grow in our short and wet growing season would be gratefully received.


Just returned to my blog after taking a supper break combined with watching a televised episode of The Goon Show on BBC2. I used to listen to it on the radio but it was even funnier watching how they actually recorded it in front of a live audience. Peter tells me he went to see it being recorded several times.

Here's hoping for another lovely day tomorrow.

No comments: