Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 1 April 2011

Signs Of Spring.

The day started off wet and windy but somewhere along the line, without me really noticing, the sun came out and we ended up with a lovely warm afternoon. In the school grounds the blossom and daffodils are already past their best,
..... while in the Secret Garden the big old weeping willow has turned a delicious shade of green.

Driving along the country roads I have been noticing more and more trees and bushes breaking into bud. Already the hawthorn is covered with tightly curled green leaves and there are more subtle colour changes in other species as the new buds impart a pink or yellow tinge to the branches. The biggest and most looked for change will be when the beech trees/bushes/hedges open their buds. The bright lime green of the new leaves is such a refreshing change after so many months of dusty browns and greys.

This morning I played a mild April Fool on my class asking them in the most upset tones I could muster why I didn't have any birthday cards or flowers. They looked shocked for about 30 seconds before laughing at being caught out. A couple of their mums had tried exactly the same trick on them.

As it is Mothering Sunday this weekend my class have been busy making cards and gifts for their mums. Their cards included a description of their mum which they had typed up and printed in different colours and fonts. Most of them chose to write similes (I so wish I had kept a record) which were so personal and lovely that I'm sure their mums will love them. Some that I remember are;

My mum is as brave as a hamster.

My mum's hair is as smooth as a bit of wood.

My mum's smile is like mine when I'm eating cakes.

My mum is as strong as a gorilla.

My mum's skin is as soft as 10 kittens.

The cards were all watercolours of spring flowers but the children had mounted them in different ways and they had thought carefully about the colours and materials they used so each was unique. And to finish them off they made giant decorated envelopes. We have been told (well it was discussed at a staff meeting) that we are not making Easter cards. Some people felt strongly that every class should be doing the same thing and with it only 1 week until we break up it is quite close to the Mothers' Day card making. I would have liked to make cards because I feel it motivates the children but I can sympathise with those who find it stressful having to make sure that everyone has made a card by the end of the week. None the less I have got some small polystyrene eggs for the children to decorate and take home and I bought enough for the other Year 2 class as well so I can't be accused of going off and doing my own thing. I even have coloured Easter Eggs hanging from some branches in a jug alongside a display of books about Easter. True most of my children do not follow any religion actively but I told them that even if they only have chocolate Easter eggs then in a small way they are still celebrating Easter.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Had a chuckle or two about the kids describing their mums.
Spring here has left for a while. Supposed to be coming back again next week.
Happy Mothering Day to you.
As I'm sure you know our Mother's Day is next month here.