Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 21 April 2011

Washing Day.

According to the weather man the highest ever recorded April temperature in the UK was 29.5C. Well this was the temperature here at midday! The day started warm, at 9.30 it was 14C in the sitting room and 25C in the garden. My morning was spent washing things, I put washing in the machine, hand washed a feather duvet, scrubbed yet more stones and washed down a chest of drawers before giving it 3 coats of white paint. I got on with so many things because the weather man also mentioned the possibility of RAIN tomorrow. I was also determined not to miss out on a long walk so by 3.00 I jumped in the car and headed off to Morthoe. This time I went the long way towards Bull Point and then dropped down this steep path into the coombe that runs to Bennet's Mouth.
It was like entering an enchanted wood. It was deliciously warm, butterflies all over the place and everywhere flowers shining like little jewels in the lush green of the grass. The deep purple of the violets and the vibrant blue of the bluebells were lit up by the white stars of wild garlic. In the sun the celandines glowed like burnished gold and the softer yellow of the primroses was like rich clotted cream. There were other flowers sprinkled across the grass and every now and then I was showered with confetti like petals from trees above me as I walked beside the crystal clear stream.

In another week or so the whole undergrowth will be a wonderful carpet of flowers and whatever the weather I will be there to enjoy the spectacle.



Emerging from the wood the valley floor opens up to a meadow, again with the promise of a carpet of flowers. I'm so glad I decided to go that way today.


Having reached Bennet's Mouth I took the coast path, exercising both my legs and my lungs. It was as I was climbing up a slope that I heard explosive cracking sounds around me. I eventually realised that it was coming from the gorse bushes beside the path. Gorse flowers all year round and most of the bushes were covered in bright yellow flowers which in the heat give out the smell of coconuts but the bushes near me had finished flowering and were covered in brown seed pods instead. The noise must have been the pods bursting open in the heat.





I carried on round the coast and came to the high but damp valley that leads to Rockham Bay. Here I had to walk through a reed bed and the breeze was causing the dry old growth to whisper and rustle mysteriously.

Having only bought a 2 hour car park ticket I did not have enough time to go all the way round Morte Point but I stopped for coffee at a bench high up on the cliff and was rewarded with a cooling breeze and the sight of a fat seal swimming about and occasionally diving down to catch a fish.
The sheep and lambs are back out on the Point. Most of them were too hot to bother moving as I walked by and this group of lambs were cooling off in some shade.

Another lovely walk !

1 comment:

Elora said...

More like "walking" day! Lovely. It looked like "Secret Garden" day, too! And the lambs! Brings back memories...when we had over 500 at one time! No kidding!

Delightful post!
Elora