Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 9 April 2011

Summer Visitors Return.

A lovely, lovely sunny day today with enough wind to dry washing on the line and keep me pleasantly cool. I spotted 4 species of butterfly fluttering around in the garden and when I went into one of the outhouses I disturbed a pair of swallows who were checking the place out for this year's nest site. But when it is 20C gardening should always start with coffee and a book out in the sun. I needed some time to decide which job to start with. And then there has to be a spot of cloud watching.
I did get down to quite a few hours of weeding and have nearly cleared the rill at the bottom of the big slope, before some mowing. The dilemma as ever was: do I ignore the large weeds in the grass and simply mow over them, spend my time digging out every last long rooted dandelion and yarrow or concentrate on the biggest of the weeds especially those that are gaily flowering and leave the rest until next time? I settled for the last option. Maybe I'll find a few extra hours to concentrate on digging up every weed in the lawn. By the time I had finished Peter had returned home from a long row in the gig, almost down to Braunton, followed by walking the gig down the road to the boathouse, putting both gigs away and then discussing each little wave in a local hostelry. He did take the time to go to my favourite cake shop and bring back some of their lovely cheesecake to make up for the disappointment of last night's meal. It was then time for our first barbecue of the year, beautifully marinated lamb with potato salad and a mixed leaf salad.

No comments: