Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 18 April 2011

Mostly Gardening.

This morning's sun had me out of bed nice and early ready to get on with some gardening. It was perfect weather, warm and sunny with a gentle breeze. I predict that we will have this sort of weather, on and off, right until the end of July when once the school holiday starts everything will turn grey and dismal. Checking back on the weather record I kept last summer I see that out of the 6 weeks holiday we only had 8 sunny days. So it really was that bad and I'm not just a grumpy old woman. (I wasn't sure.) It has been like this for a number of years so I'm determined to enjoy every moment of sun either after work or at the weekends. Perhaps I'll schedule some decorating for the summer. The sunniest spot this morning was at the front of the house so I finished off picking all the leaves and twigs out of the long raised bed. Then I thought it would be a shame to not to clean up the big stones I have on the gravel as they can look good even in the rain. I need to buy another wire brush as I've scrubbed a third of the stones and already half of Peter's barbecue cleaning brush has been worn away. The stones look good though. I had to go into town in the afternoon for a quick doctor's appointment, dropped in Lidll's for some continental delicacies and called in at BJ's for some tomato plants. They have a very good garden centre and it would have been easy to buy lots of plants for the garden but I resisted just buying some more canes and some weed & feed for the lawns as hand weeding isn't doing the job. I won't treat the small lawn that is full of daisies as I think they look so nice. Back home I moved to the pond, clearing out the grass which has reappeared in the water since last autumn and then making a start on weeding the path. I was joined by Jack who made me laugh with his conviction that a mini digger would probably do the job more easily (typical male). He is the same age as my current class and some of his stories about the things he gets up to were so funny. Especially when it came to his innocence being claimed with that well known phrase ' he made me do it'. And I'm not sure what their caretaker must think about their latest game of blocking the toilets with paper towels so that they overflow!

No comments: