Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 29 April 2011

A Tropical Trip.


We decided that today would be a good time to make out first trip to the Eden Project. It has been open for 10 years but we have never made the 2 hour drive into Cornwall to visit this amazing project which is not only the world's largest biodome but a research and educational facility which supports many world-wide projects helping people to live sustainably and to preserve the world's resources. For more info visit www.edenproject.com .

Lots of fantastic planting and a well laid out site with many aesthetically pleasing design features. Our only complaint was the 'pop' muzac blaring from the children's play tent which did spoil the atmosphere.

Our favourite place had to be the tropical biosphere which had areas showing the wild and crop plants from many different tropical areas of the world. Dotted around were homes/shacks from these areas built with the appropriate materials. Expecting a warm day I had come suitably dressed for the tropical dome but I was a bit chilly in the outside areas. My hand is behind my back because I was holding an empty cup that had contained a smoothie made from the fruit of the baobab tree which was really nice.


Although Peter is now fit enough to march around the cliffs his ankle did not do well with several hours of ambling along stopping frequently to look at more interesting plants or to take photos. Here he has had a rest on a rock on a sandy beach while I went for a second walk around the whole dome.

The biodomes are built against the walls of the giant crater that was once a china clay quarry. Inside a stream pours down adding to the forest feel.

Everywhere I looked there were more fantastic plants.


It's a good thing I overcame my fear of heights on Lundy last year as today I had no problems walking up these hanging stairs to the look-out platform. It was a little disconcerting the way they swayed as they are only held up by steel hawsers from the roof.


Once you get to the platform there is an amazing view of the whole biodome. I did ask and the lower path is nearly 200ft below. The white circle in the corner is the top of a 1-man balloon that they use when they need to reach the higher plants.

After the spectacle of the tropical biodome the Mediterranean biodome was not so exciting but there were superb gardens outside and a very well presented educational area.

Our tickets give us free access for a year so we will be making another visit, maybe in the autumn when the summer holiday makers have left the area.

Will post more photos tomorrow.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Wow that is so cool. I've never seen anything like that before. I'd love to climb those steps to see that great view.