Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 13 April 2011

A Cleaning Day.

I woke to grey skies and wet and colder weather. Hooray! said my back which was protesting mightily at the unaccustomed garden work. Instead I spent the morning spring cleaning in the kitchen, mainly the window over the sink. It is amazing how much work there is in cleaning one small area, blue glass washed, junk cleared, curtains washed, dried over the Rayburn, ironed and hung back up and of course the window itself. I prefer the frugal method of soap and water and polishing off with crumpled newspaper. I have tried 'proper' window cleaners but have never found them as good as newspaper. We don't buy any papers but there are always some around left by friends or the free ones that come through the door. And of course you have to clean the outside of the window, and the door windows and the other window and in fact I could spend the rest of my holiday simply working my way round all the windows and mirrors in the house but I shall resist. Every now and again my peace was interrupted by a hollow banging coming from the fireplace. Those jackdaws must be truly imprinted on the chimney and loft as they are still hanging around and spend a lot of time sitting on the 'hat' banging at the bars and hoping they will break or simply disappear as suddenly as they appeared. My reward to myself was to spend the afternoon getting started on my 3,000 piece jigsaw puzzle in the semi-tidy conservatory. It was very soothing listening to the rain on the roof and hunting for those elusive edge pieces (even after I thought I had sorted through all the pieces first.) Peter always buys me a puzzle for Christmas but this year I did not have the time or the space to do it during the Christmas holidays and have been saving it for now. Jigsaw puzzles are so pointless with nothing created (mine go straight back to the charity shop once done), but they are very soothing and give a ridiculous amount of satisfaction when you find that missing piece. Oh and I never look at the picture and this time I got Peter to put it in a bag so I haven't even seen the box. So far it looks to be tulips and trees.

1 comment:

happyone said...

I don't use regular window cleaner either.
I make up one that really works well.
1/4 cup vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon washing up liquid, and 2 cups of water.
I put it in a spay bottle.
My grandmother used this mixture. : )