Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 16 April 2011

Going Green.

It has finally arrived, the day I know that spring is truly here. Two weeks earlier than usual the first leaves of the beech trees have burst out of their fat brown buds. Not everywhere but in bright green patches amongst the hedges and trees. The lime green leaves with their furry edges are like a fanfare that heralds the awakening of slumbering Nature from her long winter sleep.
And with the sun shining through the leaves it was as if each leaf had its own light.
While Peter went off to play golf I finally burned the branches from my dismantled leylandii arch. I wasn't able to use my usual spot on a piece of waste ground that belongs to my neighbour as he has been leaving ponies in the adjacent field overnight and I wasn't sure how he would feel (he can be a bit odd at times). Instead I dragged all the branches down to our yard where we park, moved my car out of the way and had a bonfire there.
Eventually all that remained was a heap of glowing embers and lots of specks of ash around the garden. Now I can sort out the arch and start on my new veg patch.

1 comment:

Elora said...

Love those birch leaves! We have them, here, too! And the color is always indescribable. Chartruese, actually...

We're still under threat of light frosts, so everything is on hold for the moment.

Love to see a shot of the Leylandii after you attacked it! So glad you're going to give veggies a shot this year! Best of luck with it!


:-))
Elora