Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 3 April 2011

Happy Mothers' Day.

I was woken this morning with roses, chocolates and hot croissants. All thanks to Peter in honour of Mothers' Day, which actually I didn't expect. The boys were never too good at remembering when they were at home so today I was happy enough with phone calls from 2 of them and 2 e-cards as well. But I did enjoy my treats and the roast lamb dinner Peter made tonight. I might treat him to a meal out next week-end (it's OK, he doesn't read this blog). The day started with sunshine and showers and the washing I had forgotten out on the line overnight being even wetter than when I took it out of the machine. We decided not to go for a walk so I set to work in the garden. Having decided the arch must go I got out my trusty bow saw and started sawing. The 'before' picture shows my problem with the arch. The first 7 ft is closely trimmed and looks quite neat. Then the next section is looking rather ragged as I have to balance on a ladder with its feet on ground that is sloping in 2 directions. Finally the top bits are really messy as it's a matter of balancing and praying that the ladder won't shift as I lie on the arch cutting at full stretch. How I have never fallen off the ladder I don't know. Here one side has had all its branches lopped off. I don't like cutting down trees so it does look sad to see it like this. As I cut the branches I wondered if I could salvage the trunks to use as supports to create an archway with something growing over it. If we were planning on staying here long term I would be thinking of roses but as we are not I have a very good honeysuckle growing on the house which roots very easily. I know that leylandii does not grow from old wood but I need to check that I won't build up any fungal infection by leaving the stumps in the ground. (Anybody know if that would be the case?) I could ask a tree company but I wouldn't be sure if they just wanted my money to drill out the stump and roots.

Having worked hard outside I then bravely togged up (overalls, scarf, hood, gloves and safety glasses) and ventured into one of the lofts because we have seen the jackdaws sneaking in under the eaves. That part of the house is very old and there are gaps at the top of the stone walls under the eaves. I did put in some wire netting from the outside but it is rather too high to work comfortably. Instead I climbed through the tiny loft hatch, 12" x 18", and then painfully crawled over the rafters (my poor knees) being absolutely terrified that I would put my foot through the ceiling. I was wearing my head torch which was perfect for this job as it left my hands free to hold onto the rafters. I jammed lots of wire netting into the gaps but even as I worked a twig appeared through a gap further along as a jackdaw tried to carry on with its nest building. Apart from the noise and the yearly increase in population the amount of twigs in the loft would create a fire hazard. Hopefully now they have no way of getting in. I only hope that the little pipistrelle bats that live in the loft in the summer can still get in.

No comments: