Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 10 April 2011

A Lovely Day.

The glorious weather continues and as I sat in the garden enjoying an al fresco breakfast I had not one jot of envy for those 'on holiday' in some exotic location. The sun was shining and the only sounds were those of bird song with the occasional undertone of buzzing bees. Not until my neighbour came down the hill with Jack on one of the ponies was there any human sound to break the symphony of natural sounds.

So once more we set off to Morte Point for a walk. The good weather and the start of the school holidays meant that there were an awful lot of people and their dogs out too but we do have to share our beautiful countryside with those not fortunate enough to live in such lovely surroundings and only able to visit as holiday makers. Walking back up this stretch we saw one family looking at something in the grass and being ever nosey we wandered over to see what had caught their attention. It was a small (8") adder, our only poisonous snake, sunning itself on the grass. Eventually it got fed up with the attention and made its way towards the undergrowth.
We ended our walk at this pub where we treated ourselves to their Sunday roast, a very good meal, all the vegetables freshly cooked, nothing frozen and tender roast beef, Yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes with plenty of gravy. We have often looked at the chalked up menu as we pass by and I thought it would be a nice treat. However I still enjoy a flask of coffee and a picnic just as much particularly if I am sitting looking at a beautiful view.
Back home I did more gardening, weeding and cutting back stuff interspersed with some sitting and reading. It was during one of my reading moments that I saw Jack, aged 7, come driving up on his child-sized yellow quad bike, clad in jeans but no top in deference to this unaccustomed good weather. He then left his quad bike on the road and climbed through to the field where he went up to one of the ponies and simply stood there hugging her around the neck. What a lovely childhood Jack is having. We had our usual little chat and then he went off and got a curry comb to brush off some of Coral's winter coat before she got fed up and wandered off. Meanwhile Peter was back at his barbecue again, cooking up some of his home-made sausages this time for a leisurely outdoor supper.

1 comment:

Catching the Magic said...

So lovely to see the fine weather you're enjoying. I enjoy watching your garden change over the seasons, you put so much work into it and it's such a delight to watch from afar (I shall have to see if my parents and I can manage a little trip to visit you with little Alice whilst I'm in England - it really would be lovely to meet you!).

Loved hearing of 'Jack' and he certainly sounds like he's having a wonderful childhood indeed.

Hope you get plenty more BBQ weather over the Easter break :)