Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 12 April 2011

Chips Away.

We are back to standard April weather for the moment, sunshine and wind which is fine for gardening though the recent hot weather was a bonus. I'm spending as much time as possible in the garden so that I can just whip round with the mower to keep things tidy once the school term begins.
Today's job was cutting the grass on the steps and the little patch below it with a pair of shears. The grass was so matted and mixed with thick moss that hacking at it with the strimmer would not have done the job properly and this way I have been able to dig out any nasty weeds first. (I can see a real fortune to be made by the person who develops a rabbit that only eats grass, one you could let loose in your garden to permanently maintain your lawns without touching the other plants.) The extra cold of last winter caused a lot of damage in the garden and for the first time the heathers were affected. I'm having to clear lots of dead branches but there is still lots of healthy growth which is putting on its spring show. I keep seeing jobs round the garden which all seem urgent but I am resisting doing anything at the little pond until next week when I shall, hopefully, clear the grass out of the water and weed the circular gravel path. I can easily while away many minutes simply sitting by the pond and watching all the wildlife but work needs to be done first. I finally got the chips on the car windscreen seen to (which didn't cost anything as the insurance pays for it) and while I was waiting for the man to ring and confirm I worked in the front yard finally digging out the ancient lavender bush that was growing in the raised bed/wall. I was fond of this bush, the only one of 4 that had survived in the exposed conditions, with its gnarled and twisted trunk but last year I noticed that a lot of the leaves were dead and although it had many flowers they were wizened and grey so it was time to say goodbye. I shall replace it with some sedums that I can split form my existing plants so that although there wont be that lovely scent the butterflies will be attracted to the flowers. I may buy some aubretia to plant in the top of the wall as well as I love seeing those purple cushions tumbling over stone walls.

1 comment:

Catching the Magic said...

Great work! You sound so happy to be enjoying the time in your garden - even though it's physically hard work - but so very rewarding too.

Great that you'll be working part-time next year, so hopefully get a little more time in the garden? I always love your posts and the wealth of nature that greets you.