Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 17 October 2011

Arctic Blast.

This morning the weather people were talking about the Arctic Blast that is due to hit us today. The forecast is for 2" of snow in the Peak District, The Pennines and Snowdonia (Wales), with dustings as far as Devon and Somerset. When they say Devon they mean us up here on Exmoor. A big change from the weekend when the temperature here was 18C. The weather started to change at about 4.00. Coming home I could see the last remnants of the sun out to the east as a grim weather front began moving in. Another story that has been in the news recently is the way that our energy suppliers have increased the amount of profit they are making from each customer. They are now making 8x more profit from each customer than they were in June! You can understand having to pay more when costs go up but when it is simply to bost their profits - that is immoral. There was also an article on the TV on how women feel the cold more than men. One study of a roomful of people seen with thermal imaging cameras showed all the women with white/cold hands. I had to laugh though when the presenter talked about wearing gloves indoors as if it were the funniest thing ever. I've been wearing fingerless gloves indoors for the last few winters and they are brilliant (and quite trendy, especially when you wear a hoody to keep your head warm). I've also made new soles out of carpet pieces for my sheepskin indoor boots and my Ugg boots will be back in service tomorrow.
In view of the change in the weather I took down all the hanging baskets and replaced them with wind chimes which are now clanging away merrily in the wind. The baskets are now hanging in the shed and I filled 2 of them with miniature narccissi bulbs for next spring. I managed to do quite a lot this morning including washing my car. I didn't mean to do it but started by washing down a couple of planters of trailing geraniums before bringing them into the conservatory for the winter. Then I thought I'd turn the hose on the car to try to get some of the mud off. That's when I gave in and went and got a bucket of water to give the car a proper wash. I don't fuss too much about my car which is a good thing as I have to drive through mud and cow pats every day as I go past Mr Lewis' dairy farm. It's only when the mud rubs off on my clothes as I get in that I bother, and I suppose the moss growing was a good hint that it was time for a car wash.


Not only did I do all that before work but I got the ladder out to store some packaging in the loft and to crawl around looking for some shelves I thought might be there. I listed everything that was in the loft a couple of years ago but I must have missed these shelves which were stored right under the eaves. These are beautifully designed solid wood shelves that I think an architect friend gave to my mother many years ago and I didn't think I had got rid of them. They have been in our loft for nearly 20 years but a quick lick of paint and they will be perfect for the house phone, BT Hub and electrical bits that go along with it.
Finally- last night as I was about to go to sleep I heard an owl out in the garden. As it was going 'hoo hoo' I knew it was a Tawny Owl. The owl was up by the scree garden and was answered by one or possibly 2 owls in the trees right by the house. I assume they were courting calls as the hooting changed to melodic warbling. By this point I had turned out the lights and opened the window to listen. My eyes soon adjusted to the moonlight but even though the owls changed position I didn't get to see them. So much for the peaceful countryside.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Ruta...Ahh the cost of utilities--so astounding. Over here, we are in the midst of "smart meters" argument. I listened on NPR (Nat'l Public Radio) that smart meters will allow --in the future--people to purchase KH. IF you don't use all that you purchases, the remaining can be "sold" back to the utility. Initially, according to several meetings I've attended, a smart meter will permit electrical utility to charge us portions of useage that will be charged at separate rates. In other words, in the future, I think I will be doing laundry in the wee hours of the morning in order to use the cheapest rate. I guess this is progress. Over here, we've been told for many, many years industry electrical charges have permitted the companies to charge residential users at a reduced rate.

Must get myself a pair of fingerless gloves and my husband too because he complains all winter about his cold hands.

Today Michigan is lovely, sunny and a brisk wind is blowing. Leaves are chaning and falling and my garden has been put to bed.