Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 7 October 2011

Good News.

Finally Peter has been taken on as a permanent staff member at the engineering firm where he works. For the last year he has been employed there through a job agency but now he has more security. They have already got him lined up to go on 4 training courses some of which are certificated, which will give him extra skills. Considering that he has made a complete career change at the age of 60 in an area of high unemployment at this time of recession he has done extremely well. I'm so proud of him especially taking into account his bouts of arthritis that can affect any of his joints. He's one determined chap.

I was chatting to Peter in his study when I became aware of some rustling noises coming from a box high up on a shelf. "That's my bat." says Peter fondly and sure enough there was a bat sized gap beside the chimney breast leading into the loft "I've seen it flying around the room." he added. "Hmm." I thought, "Bats don't crunch on dry bread." By the time I carefully lifted the box down the occupant had gone leaving behind droppings that looked suspiciously like mouse droppings. Some little creature thought it had found itself a warm, cat-free room with a supply of bread but now it will have to look elsewhere.

The weather has been variable today but in the morning I still went out and cut back some more plants without stopping for the frequent showers. I also spent part of the morning hanging out of an upstairs window squirting sealant into the gaps around the window frame. The gaps are bigger than I originally thought, hence the draughts, and I had to stock up on more tubes of sealant after work so that I can do all the windows on that side of the house and keep the place a bit warmer.

The afternoon was quite sunny but I had an extra afternoon's work at school. Afterwards I went over to Tescos and had a 'flu jab from the pharmacist there. Good value at £10 and I really did not even feel a scratch. You would have to pay your GP if you wanted a jab unless you are in an at risk group (over 65, asthmatic or other health issues). I always feel more at risk because schools are a breeding ground for germs and little children have such poor levels of hygiene. Now I should be protected from the main strain due this winter.

On my journey home I had to wait while Mr Lewis' cows walked from their field to the milking parlour.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Congratulations to Peter. Good for him!!