Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 1 October 2011

Vytas Returns.

22C this afternoon so who's complaining? Vytas came down this afternoon, to spend the week-end with his old mum and dad. It is good to see him especially as he was only here for a few days at the beginning of the summer. Living nearly 5 hours away means that we don't get to see him that often. After his long drive Vytas was keen to stretch his legs so we went for a walk up the hill and around the local tracks. Near the top of the drive we found evidence of badgers, a handy ditch under the fence to get into the field.
The countryside down to the sea was covered in a gentle heat haze. Earlier in the day I had driven to Ilfracombe and the traffic was noticeably heavier on the road that leads out to the beaches.

(There is an irritating spot appearing on many of my pictures. I have tried cleaning the outside of the lens to no avail so I think I will have to take the camera back to the shop. Luckily I took out an extended warranty as I take the camera with me nearly everywhere I go. )


At the top of Rookbear Lane there is a big pit, about 10ft deep, dug into a field. (Just the other side of the damaged gate in the picture above.) Romas had seen it before and wondered if someone was building a swimming pool but I think it is probably going to be a slurry pit. It also clearly shows what kind of soil/subsoil we have here. Stones and clay with only a thin layer of topsoil.

Earlier in the day Peter had helped me move my PC so that I could tidy up the carpet in that corner. Owing to the fact that originally there was a big stone bar built in this corner which we dismantled we had to cut and turn the corner of carpet and add extra at the edges to get reasonable cover. Today I used carpet tape to join the cut edges which had developed an unsightly gap. When it came to putting the furniture back I wanted to rethink the layout and this was made a necessity when the second small PC table fell apart when I tried to push it across the room. There was nothing on it and it is past repair so I had another think about the layout, Vytas helped me to move furniture around and now I have an even tidier computer area. That's 2 more jobs crossed off the sitting room list - nearly there.

No comments: