Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 22 January 2012

Pollarding.

I was tree hugging this afternoon. Not through a desire to commune with nature but because when you are on a wobbly ladder which is leaning against a wobbly tree, hanging on for dear life seems a sensible option. The tree in question was one of the 2 willow trees at the bottom of the hen run. I don't know which variety they are but they grow 6-8ft every year which would lead to them becoming far too big for the garden. So each year I have to cut off all the branches. The whippy whithys are great if you need them for basket making or craft work but to me they are just a nuisance. This is one job that cannot be left. I had been hoping to do some more weeding as I have realised that once I have my surgery I will need a proper break from gardening so I must get things under control now but this needed doing.I had thought all the roses were over after the last brief cold spell but there are 2 flowers on the climbing rose that covers the front of the house.


No change in the weather today, it has been not too cold but dry and windy. Great for a Sunday morning lie-in listening to the Archers and watching the trees waving in the wind. Peter went to the gig club for fitness assessment (they are taking the gig championships very seriously), so there wasn't time for a walk hence the gardening.
While I was up the ladder I noticed that the brambles had returned to the strip of land on the far side of the hen run so I donned my extra thick gloves and had a bramble session. Luckily the soil is soft and I had cleared that bit last year so it wasn't too hard going. The Rambling Rector, a very vigorous rose only suitable for trees or big barns, is doing well and has rooted down back into the soil. It flowered for the last 2 years but has taken 10 years to get to this stage so possibly was not the best choice. I shall think of it as a legacy for future residents of this place when hopefully it will romp through all the trees on that boundary covering them with bunches of small white roses. I also took a bow saw to some of the overhanging trees as I am fed up of nearly having my eyes poked out by the blackthorn.
After a hard gardening session it was good to sit by the scree garden with a cup of tea and watch the clouds scudding across the sky. A pair of bullfinches were feeding on the drive, they are little dumpy sparrow sized birds and the male was an amazing bright red right up to his black cap. (I used my fuzzy photo and trusty bird book to identify them.)
Now for a relaxing evening in front of a wood fire, watching Dancing on Ice and eating prawn stir fry cooked by Peter. (He doesn't like gardening and I don't like cooking so it all works out.)

No comments: