Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 30 January 2012

Yes And Yes.

We did have snow last night. When I looked out of the window late at night I could see at least 2 inches of snow covering the grass. During the night the snowfall turned back into sleet and by morning most of the snow had gone. I had an early morning phone call asking me to cover for a sick colleague so by 7.30 I was marching up the hill to the car. I could see more snow on Exmoor but the roads were clear. Once I had driven along the top of the hill as usual there was no snow to be seen to the south. It rained all day long and on the homeward journey the rain became sleet once I reached Shirwell and right up on our hills it was trying to snow again.
The local news this evening had pictures of much heavier snow out at Blackmoor Gate and on Exmoor. The weather warning is now for a drop in temperature causing dangerous icy roads. I'm glad that once again my car is at the top of the hill. I had a quick look at the news stories on the web which always seem to be so much more dramatic than the tv. They were talking of temperatures dropping down to -10C this week, I hope not because although I love the beauty of the snow the cost of keeping warm is worrying. Not to mention water pipes freezing (though Peter insulated everything he could this summer), and dangerous driving conditions.
I was right about the sea anemone. I found a marine wildlife group site with pictures that led me to think that it was a Daisy anemone and because it is quite a rare species there was a request to report any sightings. I sent off photos and details and got an answer back confirming that it was a Cereus or Daisy anemone and information about 2 other unusual species that have been found on Barricane Beach. So my rusty brain can still drag up information from a marine ecology unit in my degree 35 years ago.

No comments: