Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 29 January 2012

Snow ?

This morning it was cold and grey but we decided to go out for a walk anyway. By the time we got in the car it was raining lightly so we thought the beach would be a better choice than up on the cliffs. As we drove along the rain looked suspiciously like sleet but that did not deter us. The rain wasn't too bad at Barricane Beach and we had a gentle amble around, picking up yet more shells and enjoying the sea air. There were some men out fishing off the rocks but they didn't seem to be having much luck and were starting to pack up their gear.
At Barricane Beach it is fun to explore the many small rock pools.

As usual there were beadlet sea anemones,



the green snakelocks sea anemones, which will sting



and this anemone which might be a different species or more probably an older brown beadlet.


After our walk we stopped at Tescos to pick up a few things and there I met a friend who I haven't seen for a long time. I don't know if people do this in other parts of the country but in Devon it is common to see a group of people having a long conversation in the supermarket. Even Peter spotted someone he hadn't seen for many years and had a long catch-up with him. As we drove home the rain was now definitely sleet, almost looking like snow. Being ever the worrier I looked at Metcheck and it was forecasting sleet through the night and then the temperature dropping to give us snow. That was enough for me so I donned waterproofs and drove my car to the top of the hill. Although the road was clear the fields were beginning to turn white. I left the car in a gateway with the de-icer under the car (in case the locks freeze). I didn't even have to walk down as a friend came by on his way to visit our neighbours and he gave me a lift in his Landrover. It is dark now but the last time I looked the grass at the back was also beginning to turn white. - Just been out and the sleet has turned back to rain but I prefer not to take any chances. Now to start a wood fire so we can have a cosy evening.

No comments: