Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 16 October 2012

Fleeting Showers.

I felt quite tired after our busy weekend but I was up bright and early as a firm was coming to squirt insulation (polystyrene balls which are set solid in a special liquid) into the cavity walls of the new part of our house. At 9.30 2 chaps came walking down the drive and they were like a comedy duo. Shaking their heads they explained that they couldn't possibly get their van back up our drive should they venture right down to the house. In fact they didn't know if they would make it back up the hill, (they did). They had a 3 1/2 ton van with front wheel drive so maybe they were right. And I don't think their engine could have been much good because they had got stuck trying to get up Whitefield Hill. The company surveyor had been here and taken photos and measurements of the house so it wasn't my problem. The men said they would have to phone their office but they didn't have a signal on their phones. I did offer our house phone but they declined, I think they wanted the morning off. They also grumbled about the plants growing up the wall even though the surveyor had said they would probably do most of it from inside. So now I'm waiting for the office to phone and arrange another time with another vehicle which has 4 wheel drive.
As it was a bright day with only occasional fleeting showers I thought I might as well get on with cutting back the honeysuckle, roses and wisteria that grow on the front of the house. It's a job that has to be done before winter anyway. I managed to do nearly all the pruning and most of the clearing up. I still need to sweep up all the leaves in the yard and tidy the raised bed before the job is complete. There are also a few branches at the very top which need the 3-part roof ladder. That ladder is too heavy for me at the best of times so I shall have to wait until one of the boys comes to visit.

No comments: