Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 24 October 2012

Proud Mum.

Right now I feel that I am bursting with pride. Vytas had his viva this afternoon and now he has his PhD. 
HOORAY !!!
He has been moving in this direction since he was very young. Before starting school he told the teacher that he only drew rockets, not people. He and his brothers watched their Star Wars videos so many times that the tapes wore out and all their drawings and games were based on science fiction. (A quick glance at our bookshelves filled with Asimov to van Vogt will show where this may have come from.) At school Vytas did well but he has always made time for other activities, perhaps sometimes at the cost of his studies but maybe that attitude has made him a more rounded and happier person. At primary school his headteacher suggested we consider sending him to Space School  (at the National Space Centre, Leicester University) which we did a few years later. After that his heart was set on studying at Leicester where he got a Masters in physics. He then did his research at the Open University in Milton Keynes and now ........ he has his PhD. And in a week he's off to Australia for a year. I am so happy that the first of our boys has achieved his goal. His brothers are still working towards their goals which I'm sure they will also eventually achieve.
I haven't done much today, just baked a batch of flapjacks for Peter and completed this little project. I bought the wool many years ago and have been trying to find a way to use it which would make the best use of the changing colours and textures. Neither knitting nor crochet gave the result I wanted so I used a hot glue gun to stick it onto the hard cover of a sketch book. It has been my first attempt with a hot glue gun and it has been difficult to keep the strands of glue away from the top of the wool. Maybe I'll get tidier with practice.

1 comment:

happyone said...

I can hear the pride in your post as you write about Vytas. Many congratulations to him on working so hard to reach his goals. Who knows what he will accomplish next!!!