Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 14 October 2012

Sunny.

Last night Vytas and I were waiting for Peter to come home from rowing when the phone rang. It was Peter "I'm at the top of the drive and all the heifers from the field are out and trying to escape down the road."  Being on his own all he could do was stop them from heading out on to the road and wait for help. Luckily I knew whose heifers they were and was able to ring Debbie Lewis and tell her what was going on. I didn't walk right up the hill in case I spooked the heifers (they are only just calves) but Peter had to stay up there until Debbie and Andrew arrived with some feed and sorted the heifers out. It was really lucky that Peter had been coming home at that time, it was pitch dark and with their farm being over a mile away the heifers could have wandered anywhere and people do drive fast around the country roads at night. 

Today we treated Vytas and ourselves to a carvery lunch at The Station Inn. Here Vytas is demonstrating the art of piling as many vegetables as possible on to his plate, and that is before I gave him my Yorkshire pudding. Today's vegetables were spring cabbage (oh so tasty), mashed swede with cream and carrots. We all had beef and pork and left there full to the gills.
We were lucky in that it was a really lovely day so after our lunch we drove to The Valley of The Rocks for a gentle stroll.
I love the scenery in the valley which is wild and rugged but sometimes it feels like a theme park in that the wilderness is only as far as the eye can see. Climb the rock strewn hill and beyond is farmland, still stunning but not wilderness. And half a mile from the entrance is the small town of Lynton. But it is still a lovely place to visit.
We climbed up Castle Rock to enjoy the view across to Wales, It was exceptionally clear today and with binoculars you could see individual buildings and the mountains beyond. It was when we were at the top of the hill that my camera battery ran out and the spare was ..... in the car.
Back home Vytas helped me do a major fix on part of our bed frame  When I had moved the bed to paint the room last Spring I had done it on my own by pulling the bed from side to side. This had put a strain on one of the joints and eventually some of the fixing dowels had snapped. Today we drilled out the broken dowels, glued new ones in and added some extra fixing plates. Right now the bed end is leaning up over the Rayburn to help the wood glue set before we put the whole thing together so we can sleep on it tonight.

1 comment:

happyone said...

Wow that is some huge plate of food!! : )
Sounds and looks like a lovely place for walking. Thanks for the Friend name info.