Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 17 October 2012

Sun & Evening Torrents.

It's been a beautiful sunny day today. Just the right sort of day to spend all my time working outside but I have learnt the hard way that I need to pace myself. The only thing to mar the day was hearing the hunt roaming around the valley. I made sure all the cats were in the house before several hounds came running into the garden. I got so cross I went and got a shotgun (not loaded but nobody knew that), and stood at the top of the drive making myself very visible to some of the riders and hunt followers. Soon after that I heard the whipper-in calling away all the hounds, good.
By working in 3 separate sessions I was able to clear the leaves in the yard and on the raised bed. Session 1 was with a brush and pan, then as the sun and wind dried the remaining leaves I was able to use the leaf vac and finally in the afternoon I was able to pick up the rest by hand.
The weather was so good that I was able to sit outside and read for 2 hours before the sun left the garden. Since then we've had some heavy showers so I've been up and checked the road dams as I don't want to be repairing the drive again. Later in the afternoon I had a surprise phone call. I get several 'junk' phone calls a day so it took a few moments to realise this wasn't one of them. Some months ago I had rung a few insurance companies to see if I could get a better quote for our house insurance, which I couldn't. One of those companies was running a draw for all enquirers and I have a won a cash prize.  It's a reliable firm and the cheque is supposed to be coming next week, how good is that?
And then a delivery van turned up. I was so surprised when I was handed a big bouquet that I even asked if he was sure it was for me. The bouquet and a box of chocolates were from all my work colleagues (cards had arrived with the postman). What a lovely gesture.
Oh my! the rain is absolutely thundering down and the TV signal keeps dropping out. Better check there's no thunder, it's even worse now!!!

No comments: