Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 13 June 2013

Windy.

The day started by being wild, wet and windy so it was not surprising that first thing this morning at school it was decided to postpone the school sports day. Part of our concern was the fact that due to returning to the more traditional format of races being run on a track (rather than a circuit of activities scored over a set amount of time), the children would be spending a lot of time watching while sitting on the wet ground. Naturally the weather cleared dramatically by lunchtime and although windy it was bright and sunny. It has been suggested that we try for tomorrow afternoon but there are far fewer staff on a Friday afternoon which would make supervising the children, taking them to the toilet etc a bit of a nightmare.
I had a back-up plan in case of rain so we kept busy but I was relieved to be out of school by 4.30. Having missed out on the collection for Claire's babies I thought I would drive across town to see if I could find some nice clothing for tiny babies. (Actually they are both about 5 lbs so not that tiny. Last night I looked at sites which had clothing for babies as small as 2 lbs.) Driving across town was a reminder of my London days, I don't think I have been stuck in a traffic jam for years. I had great fun looking at baby clothes and bought some pretty outfits for when they are a little bigger as I'm sure they have lots of 1st size clothing already. I was in a mellow mood sitting at the traffic lights, the lights changed andI began to move forwards when a cyclist speed across the pedestrian crossing and out onto the road in front of me. I didn't hit him or anything but apart from being illegal to ride on the footpath what he did was so dangerous. And this was no youngster but a chap in his 40s/50s with a helmet which wouldn't have been much use if I had run over him. I then watched him racing along the road I had turned into, make several turns across busy junctions without signalling and then come past me when I had to stop at a narrow bit of road when I nearly wound down my window to give him a piece of my mind. Caution prevailed and we went our separate ways, or so I thought. By the time I was waiting to turn left at the traffic lights by the hospital he came up beside me and rode through the red traffic light. By this time I was really cross so I wound down my passenger window. Unfortunately there was a car behind me on the main road so I couldn't slow down completely next to him to yell at him but I slowed a little and shouted at him words to the effect of  'You're bloody dangerous.on that bike!' If I see him again I might be braver and give him a proper piece of my mind. I rode a bike to work for years when we lived in London and I know what a hazard cars are to bikes but this guy was an idiot. If he got himself run over how would the driver of the car feel? ..........That's better - rant over.

No comments: