Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 15 June 2013

Windy.

I was really pleased not to have to get up early this morning. But I am feeling so tired and haven't done much at all today. It's wild and windy outside but quite warm and it hasn't actually rained even though grey clouds are racing across the sky. I couldn't bear not to do anything at all so I took photos and put labels on the first of the hardy geraniums to flower. 8 varieties so far but there are more and I never remember where they all are. If I keep them on file then I'll know which ones to propagate by splitting once they have finished flowering. They are such easy plants it would be good to have a stock of new plants when we finally decide to move.
We had a chap round this morning to re-do the concrete render on one of the chimneys which although we had it done some years ago had started to crack and looked as if it would fall off at any time. Not a good look if we wanted to sell. But once Rich had started to remove the render a more serious problem was uncovered, literally. The chimney is on the old part of the house which was built over 100 years ago at a time when the farmers did their own building. Luckily most of the chimney stack is the same stone as the walls but the bit above the roof is made of bricks. And unfortunately the farmer did not use frost resistant bricks but normal house bricks which have now started to break up. So now we have to have the chimney rebuilt which is going to be costly mainly because we will have to hire scaffolding or a cherry-picker for the workmen to get up there. Ho hum.

No comments: