Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 7 December 2015

Sun.

The sun came out today which made a pleasant change. This morning I took up the rest of the sitting room carpet apart from a few islands under the heavier furniture. Then I hoovered the concrete and painted the lower edges of the walls. I loaded up my car with the carpet and underlay and took them down to the dump before work. 
At school children and staff alike are coughing and spluttering and more than usual are off sick. I stayed in one of my Year 1 classes this afternoon. We did get in some of my planned RE but then it was back to practicing the  songs from the Christmas play. They've more or less got the words but are now singing out of sync with the music. Splitting the class into boys v girls helped motivate them to focus on how they were singing. Also, because I am fed up with chattering and calling out we had noisy points again boys v girls. One of the boys called out so I put another mark on their side and as a girl cheered I silently gave the girls a noisy point. They soon got the idea. It sounds harsh but when you are working as a group there needs to be a way for every child to have a chance to speak (and listen )rather than just the confident noisy ones. Right now the children are well on the way to being over excited by Christmas. It's not surprising with play and carol concert rehearsals, card and decoration making and glitter everywhere.
I was out of school early and was hoping for some sunset photos but the sky just faded gently into grey. 

2 comments:

Harriet said...

I like your "boys vs girls".....in the dark ages (my schooling years as well as my childrens) this tactic worked very well. In todays' politically correct time, I wonder if teachers are fearful of using it?!!

Lovely photos and wonderful job removing the carpet and underlay and removed too. You are a hard worker, Ruta.

Ruta M. said...

Every now and again we are told not to split the children by gender but when I'm not familiar enough with the class groups it's easy to operate. Also I'm enjoying http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-secret-life-of-4-5-and-6-year-olds which is run by child psychologists who regularly split the children by gender.
I'm so looking forward to the new carpet.