Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 1 December 2015

Mild.

The gale blew itself sometime in the night and today has been dry and mild if rather grey. Facebook helpfully showed me a photo I posted 5 years ago when the whole drive down the hill was blocked with several feet of snow.
Now that I've taken up the stair carpet it's a good time to repaint the skirting boards which have yellowed a lot. I think that's due to a combination of the natural yellowing of white gloss and the damp from the stone walls.This morning I put on a coat of stain stop to try and delay the effects of the damp.
At school I started making clay thumb pots with the reception children. I found that working with 4 at a time was about right. I also gave them a selection of cutlery to make marks on their pots. I don't get many chances to do creative work with the children so it was a rewarding afternoon for me. After work I drove over to the Co-Op for some fresh vegetables before driving home in the dusk.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

You have a good "eye" for photos, Ruta, the acer leafs are a good example of both color and texture. Glad you enjoyed your arts with the little children. Here in the states, our public schools have pretty much cut out art, music, gym, I suppose in order to make more time for learning. I was amazed when I learned kindergarten children (ages 5-6) actually learn to read before lst grade. Progress of one kind or another. I believe art, music and physical ed (gym) are very necessary for all children. Perhaps with many children spending lots of time using electronic things, we've forgotten they do need to run off steam....or maybe I'm just an old fuddy duddy.

Ruta M. said...

I agree. Here it's 4 year olds who are learning to read and write. Yes they can do it but it comes at the cost of creativity and social interactions. The biggest losers at the moment are the 5/6 year olds who have been pulled away from the independent learning of recent years and have structured literacy and numeracy lessons every day taking priority over more creative activities. the idea is supposed to be that the rest of the curriculum is linked to the tested subjects. But when it comes down to it the pressure on the class teachers is to get good results to impress Ofsted (school inspectors). Re electronics check out this article http://www.care2.com/greenliving/are-tablets-harming-our-toddlers.html it makes interesting reading.