Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 4 September 2016

Autumn.

Yesterday's rain turned into a proper storm followed by what can only be described as a cloudburst. I looked out of the window to see 2 rivers running down the drive, flooding the yard and overflowing into the waste water tank. Quickly I donned waterproofs and went out to see what I could do. First I raked up some of the gravel in the yard to help divert the water away from the tank and then I went up the road where I constructed a dam right across the road. That stopped any more water coming down the drive but this morning I could see that an awful lot of gravel and bigger stones had been washed into the yard. Some of the ruts in the drive were a good 6 inches deep and my little car would not have been able to get up the drive. Today, between us we filled up the worst of the holes. I tried to pace myself taking 3 half barrow loads up each time before having a break. 
Now to happier times, Lundy - Friday morning walk. Another day of lovely sunshine had me up and out early for my morning constitutional  up to the top of the Old Light.
Look closely and my shadow can be seen to the right at the top of the lighthouse. All was well with the world, sheep were grazing and the sea was a brilliant blue. 

Looking north (above & below)  I could see right to the end of the island while closer the sheep were grazing on the runway by a small light aircraft.

Looking south I could see the church and just below was Stoneycroft, the cottage we stayed in on our first holiday here.
Next to Stoneycroft was the ancient  cemetery dating back 1,500 years. 
These stones are by the remains of a welsh king's grave. His remains were later moved to Hartland.
 These gravestones bear Roman names and date back to the 6th or 7th century.
The rest of the graves were much more modern and included past owners of the island. It felt very poignant to be reading all those inscriptions so I cheered myself up saying hello to the happy piggies though of course they are destined for the table. 

1 comment:

happyone said...

What a view from atop the lighthouse.
Wow, now that is some old graves!!