Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 8 September 2016

Sun and Rain.

It's been a day of sunny spells and rain (heavier up here in the hills). I had a relaxed start as I didn't need to be in school until 10.00 but I ended up rushing because I had been waiting for the worst of a cloudburst to be over. I'm supposed to be teaching the reception children 2 afternoons a week but while they are only in for the mornings I suggested that I should come in for 2 hours in the mornings to work alongside the class teacher. It was only sensible and as it turns out we were 2 members of staff in the reception classes short this morning so it was helpful I was there. At least I hope so. Tomorrow I'll be going in for 8.45 (and get paid the extra hour) to cover for someone who is ill. This was the first morning of school for these little children, they looked so sweet in their brand new school uniforms, though they had been along for a couple of visits before the summer holiday. Hardly any tears, which was good and hopefully they are looking forward to coming back tomorrow.
The sunny weather has as usual, spurred the farmers into more muck spreading. Great flocks of birds, mainly seagulls and rooks, are feasting on the worms and things and every now and again something disturbs them and they appear over the house like a scene from The Birds.
During the sunny spells the sedum was covered with bees, flies and the occasional butterfly. It would have been a good afternoon to get some gardening done, apart from the whiff of muck, but I've been making some chocolate cookies to take into school tomorrow. Partly because it is Friday and also because I didn't bring in anything cakes when they sprung birthday celebrations upon me at the bring and share breakfast (we had tons of food anyway).
A Speckled Wood Butterfly.

No comments: