Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 1 September 2016

Back to School.

Today was a non-pupil day so it wasn't too early a start. Before we had our first staff meeting of the year I was presented with several bouquets, a card and presents including a sizeable amount of garden centre vouchers. As my birthday falls in the holidays I don't usually celebrate it with my work colleagues. There were even pictures of me (nice ones from Vytas' wedding) pinned up around the place. We had all brought food for a bring and share breakfast but first we had a general staff meeting to catch up on a few changes that had happened during the holidays and welcome a new teaching student. After all the festivities I helped in one of the classrooms sticking on tray labels etc until 1.00 when I considered my half day done. Then I went over to BJ's to buy some gardening tools as a thank you to Jack for looking after the cats, picked up a t-shirt that had been custom printed on the back with the Tree of Gondor and did some shopping in Lidl's and Tesco's.
Lundy - Wednesday's main walk with Peter. For our walk I suggested that we walk along the east coast as it is a fairly level path. (The path can just be made out running mid-way through the green hillside in the 2 photos below.) I had forgotten that the first part contained a lot of up and down over uneven rocks - oops. 

However you do get lovely views looking back down into Landing Bay with Rat Island and the smaller Mouse Island hidden behind it. (I didn't take so many photos when I was walking with Peter because he finds the constant stopping rather irritating.) 
The are 2 big quarries cut out of the cliffs where once upon a time blocks were cut out and lowered to boats below the cliff  but that venture didn't prove profitable especially as the granite is not of very good quality.
In one of the  quarries  there is a memorial to the last owner's son who  was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross in 1944.
Soon after the quarries we followed the path inland up to Halfway Wall. It was cool in the wind so we walked right across to the western coast where we found shelter by Jenny's Cove. There we sat and ate our picnic lunch.
The rock where the people are standing is where in the morning I had been sitting perched right on the edge as I scanned the area for those elusive puffins. A good illustration of how I have lost my fear of heights I think.
After our lunch the wind had blown away most of the clouds and the day became much brighter. We carried on southwards and eventually turned back towards the village and our cosy cottage. 
PS One of my friends at work went for the day to Lundy and not only saw the seals and dolphins but a basking shark as well!

1 comment:

happyone said...

The flowers are lovely. How nice of your coworkers to remember you birthday. : )
More beautiful photos from your holiday.